ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio turbo offer

turbo 182
W
Eh? So that 4k was just the box fitting and diff? I thought he meant with the engine too?
are you for real lol!
There is a lot of work in just the gearbox alone - the £4K was the gearbox etc fitted
Total bill was well over £10k for full conversion
With a supercharger Your not going to be having the big hit of torque like you would a turbo so honestly stick with your jc5
If you do have an issue with the box then maybe consider the 02m but untill then leave it be

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup builds boxes doesnt he? Are there ways of strengthening the inside to take more power for reliability
The casing can be strengthened, and you could have the gears shot peened or cryo treated. My opinion is that the bearings will fail before the gears as I'm still yet to see a box that's stripped the teeth off a gear.

A lsd in a jc5, combined with good quality oil (not the Renault stuff either!) and remembering to lose a gear rather than using the torque you get from a boost bus will help a jc5 to last. Possibly the addition of a gearbox oil cooler as well, but I'll only know the answer to that one after I've hammered the s**t out of mine.

The jc5's ain't the best gearbox, but they certainly aren't the worst either.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's important to remember that these gearboxes are 'splash fed' with oil to the gears, shafts and bearings. Any proper gearbox will have its lifeblood pumped through it to these vital areas and components.

The faster you spin the shaft up, the greater the need for oil to be where it's needed, as a bearing doesn't really appreciate having no lubrication. It also helps to remove heat. Another thing a bearings not all that keen on.

Really thought the box would have been cheaper than that, i know the engine work is costly but had no idea the box would match it!!!!!

Whats cryo treating?
And also you say lose a gear rather than using the torque from a gear?
Ive seen pms do a fair priced lsd, says its less maintenance compared to others.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Really thought the box would have been cheaper than that, i know the engine work is costly but had no idea the box would match it!!!!!

Whats cryo treating?
And also you say lose a gear rather than using the torque from a gear?
Ive seen pms do a fair priced lsd, says its less maintenance compared to others.
Taken off google:
A cryogenic treatment is the process of treating workpieces to cryogenictemperatures (i.e. below −190 °C (−310 °F)) in order to remove residual stresses and improve wear resistance on steels.

Lose a gear = drop down a gear mate. A Quaife or the pms items are maintenance free mate. Grippers require servicing, but that all depends on how much preload they're set with as they're a plate lsd.

Ah, almost like what a blacksmith would do to make weapons stronger?
Wow so much to learn.... So use gears to slow down when booting it instead of staying in the same gear and relying on the brakes?
Dont mean to sound thick, i can drive i just dont know whats best as i dont do track.

Titanium ph1 turbo
just booked my ph1 iceberg shed in for the low boost kit in august, 2400 instead of 3000, getting a new clutch thrown in for an extra 195, very excited. Hopefully a two week turn around like promised.

Anybody else using the offer?
Yep, I'm booked in July.. doing the same and getting a new Vaelo clutch, engine mounts, new cambelt and a few other bits and pieces... can't wait... just had an insurance quote back with the turbo on for £320 fully comp... all good.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, almost like what a blacksmith would do to make weapons stronger?
Wow so much to learn.... So use gears to slow down when booting it instead of staying in the same gear and relying on the brakes?
Dont mean to sound thick, i can drive i just dont know whats best as i dont do track.
No not use gears to slow down, instead of staying in 5th and using the torque provided by the turbo, change down and use more power and revs just like you do now. Its the increased torque which kills the gearbox as an NA engine produces far less of it than a turbo'd one and the clio box is obviously designed for an NA engine.