ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio turbo with ITBs?

BMW E30 325iiiiii
Has anyone put a turbo on, along with throttle bodies on a clio?

As a matter of fact, can it be done?

alien green rs133
Can't be done.

suppose can be done but the turbo kinda counteracts the need for itb's

itb's allow better air flow

but if your pushing it in with a turbo then a single tb is fine and dandy

it would be far too much work and dout you would see any improvement over single tb on a turbo car

ValverInBits
Not worth it.
iirc the Nissan Pulsar is ITB'd and turbo'd from the factory. But it will just turn into a massive massive waste of money on any clio. I have no idea why nissan would choose to do it from the factory. If you increase volumetric efficiency using a turbo, why go and use ITBs too? surely just upping the boost would be cheaper? and you've got to have a closed airbox to allow forced induction anyway.

no, just no

BMW E30 325iiiiii
i was thinkin of the airflow aswell, thats y i was askin...not plannin to do it tho...was just curiosty.

just realised ive put this in media instea of discussion...doh

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 + Combo van
like a manifold straight from the turbo into the inlets?

hmm, never new the pulsar was like that.

53 Clio's & counting
yup the pulsar is Tb'd from the factory

IMO yes it would be worth it, as the air that is being forced in will be forced in in equal measures, with better fuel injection too

but would cost alot to do,but should give an increase over a single tb forced induction set up

106 GTI
Id go SC'd with ITBs as rather than a surge it would be a full on pull through the rev range

Clio mk2 ph2
Pulsar is TB'd and turbo, not worth it imo. TB's suppose to have unrestricted airflow, but using a turbo would require a closed airbox, pipe and manifold to the throttle bodies.

One or the other i feel

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT
i done this to my 5 gt turbo and it seems to be working rather good :) although its tough to do lots of 1 off parts and then theres the mapping which is not so easy , there is no real evidence using the itb's will be better than a single throttle but its certainly different ,my only problem is ive been toying with the idea of running some nos but having the ITB's makes that a bit of task would need to inject the nos in each cylinder :/

IMG_1111_A3.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
so in short yes it can be done, yes it will improve things, and yes its expensive lol

id say room would be an issue too

53 Clio's & counting
Problem with the clio is there is little room at the front, might be a squeeze but do-able , fair play for the 5 mate more pics

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Nice!

Will be tighter in the Clio though, since the inlet's on the front. ITB's are quite a squeeze, and that's before you deal with the additional fabricated box you'd need for forced induction?

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
it can be done, but they are not real ITB's. For a boosted engine you need an inlet plenum, so really all they become is just long inlet runners and quite a few engines already use a similar setup. I'm guessing it would be like the fabled supercup manifold from what I understand of it or like the 1.6 on here.

BMW E30 325iiiiii
the more i read the more i think about the manifold, im guessin if i removed the trumpets and fabricate a box for the induction the pipework cood come from either left or right of the engine.....when i win the lotto, im doin it lol.

Clio 182FF
i done this to my 5 gt turbo and it seems to be working rather good :) although its tough to do lots of 1 off parts and then theres the mapping which is not so easy , there is no real evidence using the itb's will be better than a single throttle but its certainly different ,my only problem is ive been toying with the idea of running some nos but having the ITB's makes that a bit of task would need to inject the nos in each cylinder :/

IMG_1111_A3.jpg

Just be careful you don't blow the welds on the intake. (Joke)!

ITB'd MK1
it can be done, but they are not real ITB's. For a boosted engine you need an inlet plenum, so really all they become is just long inlet runners and quite a few engines already use a similar setup. I'm guessing it would be like the fabled supercup manifold from what I understand of it or like the 1.6 on here.

of course they're "real" throttle bodies. You run 1 butterfly per cylinder. The SR20 in the pulsar and the RB26DETT in the skyline GTR have them as standard