ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio v6 255 - Ebay

ph1 titanium 172

I am currently bidding on this lovely blue vee 255 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9861&item=4554087692&rd=1http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9861&item=4554087692&rd=1
I have never actually used ebay before, currently I am bidding on 15k. Is there any pointers anyone can give me ? The owner reckons car is immaculate. Its covered 3000 miles and is a 53 plate, on his description he reckons only 5 months warranty remains.. is this right ? I thought Renault UK gave 3 year warranty on this model ?
Are there any particular questions I should ask of the seller ? I have the plaque number from him, this model is 110

Er, please tell me you arent going to spend £15k on a car like this that youve not actually been to see in the flesh and driven?!

Caveat Emptor.

Not a good idea! i would never buy a car off ebay to be quite honest, i would have to test drive before even thinking about driving it. How can you drive it without bidding?! Dangerous! I think its dangerous that there is no reserve!

ph1 titanium 172

Perhaps I have got to carried away to be honest. I am being beaten at the moment anyway, im swperry42 on the bid list. Sooty - what exactly is the reserve ? and why is it dangerous without one ?

All looks fine to me apart from the warranty although maybe hes just got it wrong. You could ring reno and ask how much is left on the car-the reg is on the picture.

Only tip i could give you is bid the highest you are willing to bid at the latest possible time in the auction<its the best biddintg stratedgy

I cant see a problem... If you get there and its not a described then dont buy it.

My dad bought a new van from ebay without any problems at all.

Looks good to me mate like the guys above say just confirm its not an import regarding the warranty, but even if it is would that be a issue?

If you give him a call and ask him aslo gives you a chance to get an idea of the kind of person you are buying from.

Goodluck with it.

ph1 titanium 172

Thanks for the info Matt ATR. It just didnt twig with me that car could be an import, but I imported my current mk1 172 from new and its no real problem as long as car has been bought up to UK spec, which with my 172 was locking wheel nuts and cat 1 alarm. Anyone know how an imported V6 will differ in spec from a UK one ? I didnt think it was possible to import the V6 to be honest due to the limited production run. (tighter control by Renault UK etc.)

Thanks Sport182 - thats what I intend to do, if the car isnt what he describes then I will simply walk away

An orange one

go for it...like someone said, does it really matter if its an import, and it does look immaculate in the pics

Cup 172

I bought my cup off ebay and there are certain things you should do.

1. Ask as many questions as possible. If he answers something and when you go and look at it its not right, he hasnt sedcribed it acurately, so you can walk away.

2. Pay with a bankers draft. that way you have cleared funds, but you dont have to carry cash. Dont pay with a cheque as it will have to clear, so you will have to pay before getting your hands on the car. Only hand over bankers draft when you have given the car a thorough inspection and test drive.

3. If it aint right, walk away. Legally if you ask a question and he lies you are not obliged to buy it, so the worse that can happen is bad feedback. Id take that over a 15k lemon anyday...

Cup 172

Good advice from Sport182. Give hima call. You can find out a lot about the condition of a car by sussing out the owner.

If he knows it inside out, then chances are hes looked after it...

There might be someone on the forum who lives in Kent and can go and have a look at it for you.

Also the service will be due as the seller says in November as its 2years or 12,000miles.

And I think the only dif between a UK car and an import is the Tracker an import will not have it fitted............although he could have had it fitted after delivery.

And yeah give him a call ask all the questions including who supplied the car...........if it ws a UK supplier then give them a call they will be able to trace the entire history of the car including any warranty work that has been done...........I mention warranty work cause when I was looking for mine I came accross a couple of cars that had been in for warranty work 29 times between them..............could be a sign of a lemon..............and most of these jobs were not trivial i.e. G/boxs, etc.

Cya Stu

if it were me, i go & see it for real before bidding on it,
photos of cars do not show them in their true light - i have seen many a mint car from pics, yet actually been to see a complete pile of cr*p.

my advice, go and look at it first (if it sounds worth viewing)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Yeah give him a call, try to arrange a viewing before it ends. Ensure he has the V5 etc. Am sure its genuine - just dont get caught out. :)

Just remember the dealers will tell the tale.............although you wouldnt think there would be much wrong and it would be as described given the year and mileage but you can never be too carefull eh...............and in the end if it is not as described then you just walk.

Cya Stu

What number is it ?

Ask for photo of plate.

Has Tracker so would assume U.K. car and should have 3 years warranty.

Make condition of sale A.A. Inspection.

Clio RS 172 Ph2

I purchased my missus Zafira GSi Turbo on ebay without seeing it first. Not something Id recommend, but if its a bargain, and you dont want to travel long distances to see it (for risk of being outbid and your journey for nothing) then what others have said is right.

When we bought the Zafira we asked LOTS of questions, and he described some faults through e-mail correspondence that he hadnt made mention of on the auction description. Word of advice here - better to do this via e-mail than phone, so you have record of all the description and answers the seller gives you, in case it doesnt match the description when you go to collect.

The car was in Plymouth, some 3-4 hrs drive from my house, so I wasnt really wanting to make an extra trip to view the car if I could avoid it, and as I managed to get it some £3k less than comparable models were being advertised for, it was worth a small gamble.

If the seller insists on a holding deposit before you can get to see the car, get them to agree up front (again through e-mail) that the deposit is refundable if the car is not as described. If the seller has nothing to hide, they should agree to this fine. If they dont then it may indicate that they are aware of some problem theyre trying to hide, so beware!

I took the Zafira for a good test drive BEFORE handing over any payment, to ensure it drove as well as he said, also did a HPI check on the VRM, and thoroughly checked all the paperwork and history before handing over the bankers draft. Make sure you get the green slip off the V5 also, as Stu suggests, if you can find someone local to the car wholl meet you and give it the once over, so much the better.

There are lots of honest people selling cars on ebay - Im one of them having sold 3 cars now, and bought 1. I had nothing to hide, just didnt want the hassle of spending £50 for a 3 week ad in AutoTrader, and worrying what might happen if the car didnt sell in that time, and Id have to try dropping the price, and shelling out another £50 to extend the ad. On ebay, you can be sure youll sell the car in 10 days from auction start, and if you need the car gone (i.e. already bought a replacement) then its the best way to move it on, plus you are not penalised for a long ad, and can fully describe the car rather than having 3 lines in Autotrader to try and cram as many acronyms in as you can!

BUT!!! There are also some dodgy traders on ebay - people who have stolen, crashed, clocked cars, or people who want to shift something quick as a major fault has developed and they want it gone before it goes pop, which means you have to be careful, and make LOTS of checks on both car and seller.

If youre careful, you can get a bargain, and also find it an easy way to purchase a car - saves haggling with the seller!

Use your common sense, and youll be ok!

Cheers & good luck,

Dave

Just puit my Illiad blue V6 Mk2 in the cars for sale section on this site, 15,000 miles, immaculate, £18,500 without the private plate V^TUY which reads V6TOY or £19,000 or so with it, open to sensible offers. Bye the way I agree with all of the above on Ebay, having brought two cars on it including this V6 !! Be very careful and you will get a good deal.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower

I bought my late 2000 Mk1 172 6 months ago on ebay.

I paid £5.2k for it which was very cheap at the time. It was never proved but i think the owner bid me up a couple of hundred under a different user name. He was selling a second car the following week and the same user also bid on that one, a clio 172 and a Volvo estate - unlikely ! Anyway i think he fell foul of his own tricks as i outbid him with 5 secs to go. i guess he was hoping to win the auction himself and not sell the car !

it has been a good buy apart from the cambelt starting to sound noisy after a couple of months - some you win some you lose.

just be careful and dont get carried away. if you think it makes too much then walk away dont get caught up in a bidding war, you will regret it.