ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 or Elise

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Just thinking about my next car, and although a couple of years away ish, Im tempted by two. The Clio V6 - obviously - or the Lotus Elise (perhaps 111R or even the standard version). Both around the same price.

Which would you guys prefer and why, if you have reasons? Much appreciated, will be good to see opinions.

Evo MR FQ300 & Clio V6

Clio V6 as the Fiancee thinks the Elise are for women :D

Looked at both and I thought the Elise was of toy like proportions and especially driving in town all I could see were number plates and grills. The V6 is beastly compared to it. - Bigger boot in the V6 and thats not saying much ;)

Ive been looking into both, I could get away with a Vee as my only car, couldnt say the same of the Elise.

If it were an Exige however....:devilish:

I would get the Elise if I was going to be doing trackdays and I had a runabout to use to get from A-B. If it is going to be your only car, out of the two it has to be the Vee.

Elise! Or Exige.. mmmmm...

Not as practical as the V6 (and that must be saying something) - so Id budget for a small runaround as well

Embarrassed to say

I always thought both the v6 and the elise were not good daily drivers.

Couple of years time monaros will be going cheap knowing how vauxhalls depreciate - 5.7 v8 and lots of mods available. The evos are losing value fast due to the mivec-ed evo 9 with standard 330bhp, the watered down 260 not to mention the 4500 mile services, clutches every 10k, new discs every 10k etc.

3.0ltr V6

As a V6 owner, I also looked into both because the boyfriend likes the elise but the V6 won. I use mine everyday and love it.

Yaris Hybrid

Get an Elise but the one with a Vauxhall badge on the front.

Basically the same as a normal Elise but...

Quicker than a normal Elise and makes a laughing stock out of a V6.

Doesnt break down as often as a normal Elise or V6.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Mmmm. I think personally, Id go for the V6. They are uber-rare around these parts and they instantly look the mutts nutts. The Elise looks a little girly (despite its obvious dynamic credentials) but if an Exige was thrown into the mix..... erm, well, dunno??!

Never driven a V6 but I have had a track day in the Lotuss moon-buggy brother - the 340R. A brilliant, brilliant car, but you couldnt seriously use it everyday. Oh, and its had its fair share of mechanical gremlins too...

D.

tiTTy & SV650

yeah id have a vx 220 over an elise or exige, save a packet and get a 172 or something as your run around!

2.0 litre turbo compared to a toyota lump in the elise...

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by Bailey on 15 March 2005

Cant beleive you are all going for the Elise! Its a girlie car and thats coming from a GIRL, lol.
Its proper go-kart style driving though! Out of them itd be Exige, 220T, Elise (111R), V6 - in that order.

I can assure you that everybody stares when youre driving around in an exige, its not a privilege that only V6 drivers get! :p

Ive only ever seen 2 exiges on the road, and one of them was the one I was in! Ive actually seen more V6s! :eek:

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 15 March 2005

2.0 litre turbo compared to a toyota lump in the elise...
Id take the Toyota lump any day of the week thanks, especially since a supercharged version is coming out with toyota reliability.

If it was a pre-toyota Elise, Id take the VXT, otherwise its Lotus all the way.

Not impressed with VXs 111r or to be honest would go for Renault Spider 210 bhp version over all if was gonna go for that sort of car.. For everyday use and fun would go for V6 if only getting one car.

Elise everytime.

Far superior car for driving, also much better tuning scope and they can be used daily even in snow and ice etc, guy has a yellow one that drives by my flat everyday.

Also go for the K series elise not the toyota lump as its crap. The K series is the superior engine and yes you will have to mod it to make it reliable, I can detail the problems and how to rectify them if you wish.

The toyo lump is ok but very heavy and the nimblness goes along with the weight of the lump.

Clios just a nedded up crappy looking thing thats really not that great at anything.

E91 M Sport

Riiiight, so Toyotas latest and most technologically advanced engine is worse than stinky old k-series, and V6s are rubbish at everything?

Dont think Id agree, but each to their own....

Id have an elise, buy a cheap one and get an engine conversion. Drop a supercharged civic type r engine into it - very reliable and an absolute track day weapon!!

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Chris&Amber on 16 March 2005

Elise everytime.

Far superior car for driving, also much better tuning scope and they can be used daily even in snow and ice etc, guy has a yellow one that drives by my flat everyday.

Also go for the K series elise not the toyota lump as its crap. The K series is the superior engine and yes you will have to mod it to make it reliable, I can detail the problems and how to rectify them if you wish.

The toyo lump is ok but very heavy and the nimblness goes along with the weight of the lump.

Clios just a nedded up crappy looking thing thats really not that great at anything. <SCRIPT language=javascript>
sorry why are you on this forum again ?

Quote: Originally posted by Chris&Amber on 16 March 2005

Elise everytime.

With his b£mhole puckered if its snowing. Theyre like roller skates those elises in the snow. No weight and big wide wheels with low profile tyres. Scary Dairy!

K-series. Rover (aptly a name for a dog). Head gaskets. Oh dear. Would you want to buy a car that you have to modify just to make it reliable, let alone perform adequately?

Clios just a nedded up crappy looking thing thats really not that great at anything. <SCRIPT language=javascript>

Whatever. It usually causes a 3-5 page discussion on the forum when its abused. Does that count?
Oh sorry need to comment on the actual topic (bummer). Go with your gut instinct after driving them. Dont listen to all us idiots. YOU will be splashing the cash and YOU have to live with the car afterwards. Not any of us.

V6 or Elise I bet youll having a fcking great time driving whichever you choose.

[Edited by ChrisM on 16 March 2005 at 7:43pm]