ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 rivalry on here or not

Just wondering, on the Cliosport forum the V6 is top banana, and still gets plenty of stick even on its own home forum from other members! I wonder if the FQ or WR1 ..on the EVO and Scooby forums get the same kind of stick from there own fellow members? I get the feeling they are looked up to more times than looked down on in there club?

The question is, is there really this much rivalry on its own home forum? As when it arises, there are 5 or more page threads with owners defending there cars!!? You would only expect that on another forum if its against other marques but we are all Renaults here :devilish:

Punto/Clio GTT

if someone says mk 1 clios are pretty poor, they rust etc.. we say yup, indeed.

if we say them v6s are abit overpriced, dont perform aswell as they should with all that extra weight, people (mainly v6 owners) kick up a fuss sayin its cliosport warfare and we despise the v6.

V6 is a great car, i dont like the look of em myself, but prepare for some stick once in a while ;)

ST

TBH Zonda, the FQ and WR1 etc are better than the cars they are based on, but the Clio V6 is a little over rated and over priced IMO, there are better cars out there for cheaper, just because its a CLIO V6 doesnt mean everyone who has a clio on here has to like it.

A mk2 172 with a little work and a good driver would be all over a V6 most days of the week!

But the only advantage of owning a V6 IMO would be the looks youd get from other drivers.

Mk2 172 172 0-60 6.9 secs

Mk2 V6 0-60 5.8 secs

Seems alot of extra cash for 1.1 secs to me.

Clio v6

I have a V6 others have different models. Would be rather boring if we all had a Williams, just think of the rust left over after meets, Cliosport would be sued by every local council for the clean up..

Its a well known fact that all the red V6s have paint faults and they all lack a few bhp than the other colours.

Brown is best.

Punto/Clio GTT

Quote: Originally posted by cliov6-230 on 07 March 2005

im afraid final maxim, u wouldnt say that if you had one mate!!!!

if someone says to me, dude, youve got a mark 1 clio that rusts to f**k, ide say lol yea

if someone says to you, dude youve got a 15,000 "supercar" that underperforms cause of its weight, you go off on one, start threads sayin its war n that we dont like v6s or theyre owners?

whether its a 100,000 pound car or a 1000 pound car, you gotta take criticism sometimes, you gotta accept that the car aint perfect and people will pick faults in it, in all cars!

the V6 aint perfect, neithers my mk 1, but theyre still great cars.

E91 M Sport

The problem with this forum is that things got broken down into so much detail, that people forget the car as a whole. I mean, on the V6, the chassis isnt great, the engine is unstressed and the gearbox is made from cream cheese, the interior is just as shoddy as the other clios and it is possible to be shown up by cars costing half as much...

...but from what I can tell, that doesnt bother the average V6 owner. We knew this when we bought them, and we know this when we drive them with a big :D on our faces.

V6s are quite a common sight to the cliosport fraternity, so naturally the awe-inspiring looks get boring and they pick faults (where as the actual owners get the pleasure of the other 5 senses!). The best Evos and Scoobys dont look very different from each other (similar body, same layout, same engine), so there is probably less of an expectation from the start.

IN MY OPINION its a decent car, but not quite the supercar its been made out to be, looks are stunning, ill never deny that, but at the end of the day its just another renault clio (as stated in my opinion, not open to debate)

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

The v6 I had a ride in felt much faster than the performance figures say it is.

Stunning car overall.

i like them, it stands out like pretty much no other car at that price, im sure its a fun car to drive and own although i have never driven one personally. would i buy one ? probably not but it doesnt mean i think its a bad car.

GW Clio 200

i dont really think the term supercar applies to it.... then again i dont own one. i drove one and thought they werent fast enough to warrant the cost so i bought a 172 AND a sub sti which would leave v6 for dead in a straight line or round any track

If anyone wants to throw away their V6 which suffers from being overweight, due to all the cream cheese the gear box eats give me a shout.

Evos and Scoobs top models are for all intents and purposes the same, as long as it has a turbo all you get the option of doing is buying a faster one with more kit on it... the Clio V6 is something else entirely tho... in the case of the V6 its a RWD mid mounted 172 with a stick on body kit, its heavy and not particularly quick.

personally if they designed the V6 to be a 2nd hand car it would be great, as the price drops like a f**ker, but in most peoples opinions theres better ways to spend the best part of £30k... but like has been said, would be boring if we all drove the same car.

Whats with all this "supercar" sh*t, the V6 clio is NOT a supercar, its a mid engined RWD hatch??

Supercars are Ferraris, Lambos and the like and cost a f*cking furtune...

It is the fastest std clio renault make, but I dont think any owner here will call it a Supercar?

Most prices btw seem to be around £23k these days new, not anywhere near the £30k people keep quoting?

Just like CraigV6 got £4000 of his 225, you can get loads of the V6 if you shop around.

Simon.

Just too many tools who think they know everything also alot of jealousy... Bottom line is any car can be compared to another and all have faults, Alot may I add down to personal preference.

Like already mentioned we knew what faults were there before buying and what performace was like etc but we still bought them cos they are a pleasure to drive.

I had a Tuned WRX impreza (Still on Well lane rolling road page - Scoobynet) I sold this to get 172 as wanted something different. After Driving both V6s MK1 and MK2 I fell in love and decided to purchase- went MK1 as preferred looks and made a big saving on purchase :).

Bottom line is I didnt buy it cos of speed and balls out performance did it because I love driving it.. and dont regret a single min..

Dont see why people dont just get over slting peeps cars. I have seen some pants cars on this site but dont go slating in a forum

BMW 320d Sport

Perhaps the V6 IS a supercar and youre talking it down Simon? The fact that everyone on here owns different Clios and likes different Clios is surely a given, hardly even worth debating.

What does supercar actually mean? Well, most accepted supercars have an unusual engine location for a road car, either mid or rear engined, mostly mid though. Clio V6...mid-mounted engine - check. No supercar has ever been front wheel drive...Clio V6 - RWD - check. All supercars have an indefinable something that makes them a looker ....Clio V6 turns heads everywhere - check. Supercars must be fairly rare...perhaps youd see one or two in a year, if that. Well Im CS events manager and I only see that....check. And finally, a supercar MUST be impractical - Clio V6, shopping car given wide arches, rwd, only two seats and not even a decent boot in the front with low-rent interior - check.

So by my standards the Clio V6 is a supercar. Supercars have never been about affordability - a new M5 is bloody expensive but its not a supercar. A Bentley Continental GT is over 100k but not a supercar. There are plenty of supercars from the 60s/70s that would struggle to keep up with a modern hot hatch that can do 0-60 in the 6s. It doesnt make them any less super.

Whether you like the V6 or not - we should all applaud Renault for having the bottle to build it - just because they could. Thats what gives our Clios a motorsport heritage that Saxos or Fiestas will never have. We complain that Renaults are pieces of crap that are full of rattles and squeaks but then theyre not as dull as a Daewoo Matiz or a Vauxhall Corsa.

BMW 320d Sport

Oh and btw 16vClio Id say that a difference of 1.1 seconds over the 0-60 is a pretty big gap - a car that does it in 5 is a lot faster than one that does it in 6. In terms of 0-100 that opens out to 3 seconds at least.

almaghrbi

ClioSport Trader
  172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 07 March 2005

Oh and btw 16vClio Id say that a difference of 1.1 seconds over the 0-60 is a pretty big gap - a car that does it in 5 is a lot faster than one that does it in 6. In terms of 0-100 that opens out to 3 seconds at least.
True but only in a straight line not on track. Although the Cup is slower than the V6, it is as fast as the V6 on the track

Remapped derv Golf

Its the only car of its kind at the moment.

Cant think of many other cars with such road presense - not costing £23k anyway.

Mazda MX5 1.8

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 07 March 2005

Cant think of many other cars with such road presense - not costing £23k anyway.
this is true........ almost all car makers these days bring out boring expensive drab looking cars (new golf gti isnt exactly off the wall look wise)

mid engined hatchback - mad but loveable concept

Renault Laguna Coupe

I must admit one of the good things about the Vee is that its classless. Driving one doesnt make any kind of upmarket financial statement.

If you turn up at our office in a Boxter or (worse still) a 911, youll just be labelled a pretentious prat. When I first turned up in the Vee people just thought I must be a bit loopy. I liked that a lot! :D

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 07 March 2005

wandered when this thread would appear ....

i chopped in my 280 bhp Leon Cupra R .. it would eat the Vee for breakfast wherever you put it .. i bought the vee for 3 reasons...

1) its a limited edition with a potential to retrieve some cash back.

2) RWD and R/Ed & the singing Vee behind ur head

3) Its fukkin stunning looks and REAL road presence .. gets more looks than ur average 23k mota

I couldnt give a flyin fuk what anyone thinks about my Vee .. , i know it aint the best car in the world .. but owning a limited edition wide arch rear engined kit car for 23k ... there has to be some trade off.

My view is .. if you dont like it .. dont buy it .. sl*ggin em off in the forum is only going to lead to one thing .. and thats the inevitable BITE of Simon !!

Mark 1 Clio V6

There are a few good guys that own V6s (Mike, James, Steve (ex V6), Stu, there are others too).

The rest of you have your heads so far up your own V6 loving arses that you make others dislike V6s. I think people have a pop at the car because of the image some give of the people who drive them.

Most people love the look of the V6, the sound of the V6 and the fact that Renault made the V6. We all after all own Renaults.

Most people (non V6 owners) also probably hate the V6 because a small minority of owners that use this site are complete w**kers about it.

Get a life losers!

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 07 March 2005

There are a few good guys that own V6s (Mike, James, Steve (ex V6), Stu, there are others too).

The rest of you have your heads so far up your own V6 loving arses that you make others dislike V6s. I think people have a pop at the car because of the image some give of the people who drive them.

Most people love the look of the V6, the sound of the V6 and the fact that Renault made the V6. We all after all own Renaults.

Most people (non V6 owners) also probably hate the V6 because a small minority of owners that use this site are complete w**kers about it.

Get a life losers!

couldnt agree with you more!!!!!

i think i have had to point this out before ..

how to win friends and influence people .. LOL .. our survey said :cry:

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 07 March 2005

Get a life losers!

What a weird attitude to have....you pull the car down (even though you say you like the car?) then when the owners defend their cars, you then say you only pulled the car down to have a go at the owners for defending their cars in the first place....pmsl

Im sure there is plenty of work for a "shrink" there....;)

Simon.

Renault Laguna Coupe

^^^ lol @ jon, duplicate thread (again)

no amount of logic (financial, performance or otherwise) could ever convince anyone to buy a Clio V6. But if youve gotta have one, youve just got to!

Id definitely consider buying a Vee. by the time i get to the age of being able to afford a Vee however itll be ancient history. I may be able to get one in two years if the Mk2 is cheap but i doubt id be able to afford the insurance.

The Vee looks stunning and sounds great and is a very fast car whereas the 182 is a clio with nice subtle stylings and a big engine. Theyre two totally different cars. one is practical and one isnt. Thats about as simple as you could put it.