ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio valver audi 1.8t conversion

clio 1.8 16v
Hi guys

just a quick one ,i dont know if any of the older members on here remeber a black 16 valver with an audi 1.8t conversion which was done in 2007 ? i have found the mag with the car in (practical car performance0 and me and my dad are set to start the conversion in the next few months ,does anyone know if the guy stuart flanagan is still around on clio sport as though the articile is quite good i feel i will hit some other problems along the way and we are going to need all the help we can get

cheers guys

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
His username on here is flans14 iirc.

He has recently converted another member 172 cup into vag 20vT as well.

Well worth a search on the forum.

Williams20V-306BHP
3 Pm's... how keen are you ;)

Check this thread for some ideas
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?434540-TwentyValver-Project-Thread
Mark coppied my original Black 20V when he did this but fitted a massive turbo (good lad!!!)
The Black one is now dead (i killed it) for spares for my Williams. There is a Build Thread on Williams Clio or RTOC but you have to be a paid member to see the projects section..... but worth it ;)

Engine Wise, you need to loose that Die/FlyBy Wire and fit a std Throttle body. I fitted a Nissan SR20 one on mine as it was bigger in diameter but less bulky on the outside. ECU wise Emerald is my personal choice, great price and Dave Walker knows his stuff...He also does all the Audi powered Elises From AudiTech.

In a nutshell its tight as f%^& but it fits, you need a manual rack from a 1.2 clio and steering coloum. The oilfilter is v-close to the rad if you run a big intercooler infront of it (like my black 20v and Williams) but you can run a smaller intercooler if your running 240ish bhp..... how far do you wanna take it???

Flan

clio 1.8 16v
cheers for the reply flan bit of a legend on clio sport a ?
haha v keen mate will be starting in the next couple of months ,yeah getting rid of the fly by wire do you know if that leon lump is the same as the golf one you and mark used? his article has been a real help as the old man was concerned about cutting the subframe etc, only reason i am goin for this is the seat is cheaper than the golf ,yeah got the intercooler and manual rack from my 5 turbo conversion me and the old man done a couple years ago ,had enough of blowing head gasket etc, got the williams in mine at the mo but missing the turbo if you know what i mean ,seems as emerald is the ecu of choice with all the conversions i have seen that being three lol, thats one thing iam not clear on is the loom side iam a electronics engineer but know what a pain in the ass the 5 was to do french electrics lol. how hard was it mate were the correct wires easy to find etc do you just tap in ? and dave from emerald more than happy to help ?

power wise mate aint into top mounting the turbo gonna fit a ko4 and manifold so looking for 250ish what injectors did you use were they just off a tt?

thanks for your help mate

Williams20V-306BHP
you gonna buy a whole car?? might be worth just getting a front cut? or finding someone breaking one.

Most are flyby wire but its no stress. The Leon will be a small port head, smaller wrist pins and not as strong as an AGU (AGU and BAM engines are said to be stronger) but for below 300bhp it dont make that much of a difference.

Turbo wise, K04 is good for 260/270bhp some will say more but dont believe them it just kills it to quick. Be carefull getting a second hand one (most are f*cked) if you need a manifold ill sell you one cheap ;) the oil feeds and water feeds/returns are expensive.

Injectors... use TT225 380cc injectors BUT if your using aftermarket managment just buy some nice Siemens 440cc ones.

Wiring is a piece of cake, i hate electrics but its very simple with the Emerald guides. Dave and his team will always help. when you order the ecu you have to specify what ignition your running, either std coilpacks (one per cylinder, like the 172cup i did) or single ford coilpack (like mine) the Ford one is more reliable.

Flan

clio 1.8 16v
yeah was looking at getting a leon sport thats had a smack though would prefer the agu lump to be honest

what was the ko4 like for lag mate ? yeah will need the maifold mate ideal cheers .

another thing mate the driveshafts i see mark got them made up did you do the same or change the williams ones ? i.e weld and sleeve ?

did you change the fuel pump or do you reckon the mark 1 pump with pressure regulator should be up to the job?

cheers flan

clio 1.8 16v
hi robb
yeah thought that might be the case whats it like when i boost does it pull like hell mate is it hard to hold on to haha ? what you bhp running in yours ?

Clio Hybrid / S3
All I can comment on is what it's like in my S3, It pull's hard from very low down but it does run out of steam pretty fast. I am carrying an extra half a ton over a Clio though ;)

Williams20V-306BHP
Depends how it's mapped mate. My original was 279bhp. Would spin up lots if you drove it hard but take it easy on the throttle in first n second and you'll be fine.

Mark got some custom driveshafts made but mine run sleeved and welded driveshaft, there not going anywhere! And it's been on the same shafts for 5 years of abuse!

The stock fuel pump runs out at 200-220 bhp but a 255lph pump is £75 and easy to fit.

Flan

clio 1.8 16v
ok mate ideal will let you know when i start still not sure weather to go for the agu lump or not glad you guys are here to help as iam sure will hit some problems
will let you know when i need the mainfold how much you want mate

cheers

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Does a K04 fit in the clio engine bay? I would have thought you'd be limited to a K03? A K03s would be best in a clio anyway i would have thought.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ah really. I know its a struggle to get them in the Ibiza cupras..haha

Id still go K03s. Less lag and will still see 240bhp. Plenty in a clio and will be more usuable.

Williams20V-306BHP
You'll be doing well to get 240 from a k03s it's right on the limit tbh. The K04 has minimal lag I'd deffinatly recommend that. Daves 172 is a 180bhp tt engine with the k04 on emerald. That pushed 260bhp iirc. You don't wanna go much more on a k04 or you will kill it quite quickly. Some get 280 out of them but the STD 380cc injectors are maxed out and runs really weak causing the turbo to get v hot and crack.

I've never tried to fit the k03s but think the exhaust would hit the bulkhead.

clio 1.8 16v
how do they sit mate as jaff just offered me a k03s lump and it might be the cheaper option for me

Williams20V-306BHP
i dont think it will fit. Google image a K03 or K03s (same exhaust outlet) i recon it will smack straight into the bulkhead!