ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio vs impreza

Pah! I managed to hold off/pull away from a std 2003 Scooby round Bedford Autodrome -and- on the 1km straight last weekend

My mate has a 2002 WRX and weve both driven each othere motors etc - nothing in it, in fact the cup has the edge with a good launch, scooby pulls ahead past 140......

yeah it will have been moded because my mate has a fully pro drive tuned p1 the last year they made the old shape and ive never heared the dump valve not even sure if it has one.

All turbo cars have dump valves, standard dump valves recirculate air back into the inlet where as atmospheric dump valves dump it into the air hence the whoosh sound on lift off. Not a real performance gain just sounds good if you like that sort of thing.

well you learn something every day. only thought they was type of dump valve that makes the whoosh sound. only recently got into engine mods since i got the 1.8 dant really see much point in doing engine mods to a 1.2 and also due to my mates taking me out in there newly purchased pulsar and scooby

S0H00BY - have you reregistered under a different name - I distinctly remember chating to you a bit about the cup when you got yours - u have blue buckets in your cup dont you?

Hey Cupsize!!

No I am still 172CUP and still have the cup with the blue Konig buckets. Have just added 17" White Speedlines with Bridgestone SO3s. It looks the nuts!! Handles much better also, less understeer under load.

The Impreza is one of my other cars and is more of a demo car also as im involved in a well known Subaru after-market company that has put the kit together that SOHOOBY mentions.

Im also doing the 205 British Rally championship this year so have a GRPN 205 and bought an STI Forester as a pull car. Its quicker than UK spec Imprezas.

I have not got round to it yet but am in the process of joining ClioSport and will be putting ClioSport stickers on the 205 as a form of free advertising as you guys run a tidy operation here.

All the best,

172CUP

S2000

172Cup,

I put a FAO:172Cup up on the board a couple of months ago. I was looking ofr the pics of your car with the bucket seats, do you still have the pics handy?

Cheers

172Cup, I asked because I know someone( an unusually large Kiwi homo!! ) who has been into Scoobies as long as me( a long time... ) and who also does the 205 challenge.

How are you getting on with the 205? Good series, that!

Quote: Originally posted by S600HBY on 11 March 2003

All turbo cars have dump valves, standard dump valves recirculate air back into the inlet where as atmospheric dump valves dump it into the air hence the whoosh sound on lift off. Not a real performance gain just sounds good if you like that sort of thing.
Not true I dont think. Not all turbo cars have dump valves. Modern ones, yes, but older models didnt get them from the factory.

They have a more useful function than just sounding good! They release pressure from the turbo upon lift off of the throttle (whether it be to the atmosphere with a whoosh or back into the system). All the air rushing through the turbo on acceleration all of a sudden has nowhere to go when you let off. If a dump valve wasnt there to release it, it goes back through the turbo. This has two main effects, one immediate and one long term.

Immediately this can cause the turbo to "stall" and can cause turbo lag when going back on the accelerator as it has to spin up again. A dump valve lessens this effect somewhat and is why people say they "help" with performance - keeps the turbo spinning and therefore hopefully boosting sooner when going back on throttle.

More importantly, if the pressure goes back through the system, it is a hell of lot of pressure on the turbo fins. Over time this can weaken them and cause failure. Therefore dump valves help with the longevity of your turbo.

Dump valves only serve any real purpose on 500bhp monster Cossies and the like which are running serious enough boost to actually stall the turbo!!!

320d M Sport

bump for Teady!! From what i remember this Cup looks ace!! GEt some new pictures up if u can 172 Cup!

Cheers Paddy