ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio vs megane

RB 182 195bhp
I have a Clio 172 cup, I was looking to upgrade to a Astra VXR, but have been put off by the handling and reliability of the turbos and gear box's, I've started to look into megane r26's, but on paper they don't seem to be much faster than the clio, is this the case?

320d
Standard v standard there isn't a great deal in it through the first few gears. A remap really bring's the Meg's alive and they will show a Clio up.

GW Stage 2 R26
Fair bit faster standard. It just doesn't feel it. Because your not taking it to the redline in every gear. And it's much more stable/grippy. As said a remap makes a huge difference too. And is mega cheap compared to trying to tune a Clio.. They have plenty of issues too mind.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not convinced you will find a megane any more reliable at the same power than the astra TBH if both are driven the same way etc.

LY R26
Im not convinced you will find a megane any more reliable at the same power than the astra TBH if both are driven the same way etc.

agreed

only difference i would say is the handling but then im only going by what people say about astras having never driven one

GW Stage 2 R26
If you get an r26 it handles better than the Astra and way better than an st. Which seems to roll a lot. The vxr torque steers a lot. The r26 with the diff and new front subframe, wider track etc is the only one to go for really..

RB Clio 182
Astras are very quick in a straight line and the gearbox is only the weak link tbh, strong engine and very fast in a straight line, 300 bhp with exhaust, intercooler and a map.

Crap handling as standard tho but springs and a rarb makes alot of difference, a diff transforms them.

On topgear remember the astra vxr was on the sri suspension so it wasnt a true review.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Diff for the vauxhall is a must if you want it to handle, they are a LOT cheaper than for a clio though thankfully.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
there wasnt much in it between my old 225 and my mates 182, my meg would pull away in the higher gears though..

Map the meg and it will be a whole lot different

RB 182 195bhp
Thanks for the quick replies, so the general feeling is standard they are slightly quicker, but with a map much quicker. How does a remap effect the drivechain though? I know with modern diesels many people have problems with clutches and duel mass flywheels shortly after, is this the case with the meg or can it take the hike? Tbh ive been put off the Astra's now, I know renault's arent the most reliable but it seems to be mainly cosmetic things like window regulators etc at fault, where as I have read on many sites that gearbox's in astra's go at around 100k and turbo's go shortly after. Id rather have a window to fix than a gear box rebuild. Also with the handling I dont want to have to buy a car then spend near on 1k on new springs/ arb/ diff to make it handle because Vauxhall cba lol. What I really want is a bmw M3, but I can't afford one for a few years, and I'm just wondering if the meg is a decent stop gap or if I would be dissapointed and wish I stuck with the Clio

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont think its particuarly unheard of for the gearbox on a mapped megane to fail before 100K either TBH mate if you are talking 300bhp like the astras all tend to end up at, although you would be best asking on a megane forum probably as there will be more people with experience of them.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Megane r26 with stage on map all you need 250 bhp approx
They are good cars not as fun to drive as the clio.
and don't have to be driven hard. stage one is best for reliable power.

RB 182 195bhp
Sounds about what I assumed then really. I appritiate this isn't an ideal place, but I have seen a few members with Megane's on here, and was just looking for some back to back experiences really

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
well I went from a 172 to a megane then back to a 182...

The meg felt a little to grown up for me and just wasnt as fun to drive as the clio, also the power to me didnt warrant the 22mpg

GW Stage 2 R26
If you got 22mpg I expect your injectors where shot.. Mine does 29-30 day to day and that's on stage 2. 276bhp 330lb torque. That is your very limit torque wise with the standard engine internals/clutch mind.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's the same basic engine as the Clio and they can bend con rods with over 300lb of torque.

The rods are different between the F4R and the F4RT

That said, mine (F4R) must be in the 300+ region for torque now and is on standard rods, although shortly coming apart for forged as I dont want to risk it for long like that.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
If you got 22mpg I expect your injectors where shot.. Mine does 29-30 day to day and that's on stage 2. 276bhp 330lb torque. That is your very limit torque wise with the standard engine internals/clutch mind.

Nope it had new coils, plugs and injectors with a map they are ment to be far better on fuel though...

RB 182 195bhp
22 mpg?! Really I was expecting 28-30. I know Focus st's are pretty bad on fuel but I thought the meg was better

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They are the same rods mate.. I can get it to do 35mpg on a long run on the standard map.

Not according to the pictures laine recently took comparing the two:

Meganne 225 left, RS1*2 on the right.

546161_453047048051400_159951416_n.jpg

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
The only good thing about an astra VXR is the noise that comes out of the exhaust other than that its an awful car megane R26 FTW all the way im exactly the same as u im a 172 cup owner and have always thought about the megane...Ill be sticking with my cup i think :)

GW Stage 2 R26
I've seen this photo before I think. And it came up on meganesport. The con rods are the same part number off Renault though.. So that is a bit strange..

As to the rods Probably made in different years then the part was superseded to a new number for both?

I had the same dilemma. RS Megane, focus st, astra vxr, but then I started looking at brand new cars instead, which lead me to different machinery.
Hatches with similar power to the clio.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've seen this photo before I think. And it came up on meganesport. The con rods are the same part number off Renault though.. So that is a bit strange..

Nothing strange about that, renault frequently quote the same part number for totally different parts.

Renault R26 #1553
I have a Renault R26 with stage 1 map and use it as my everyday car. As stated they do feel more grown up than the Clio sport and you don't have to drive them hard to go quick. I avg 30mpg around town and 40 mpg on a run.... This Clio 182 achieves better figures but it all comes down to how you drive it. Reliability wise I have had mine about 6 months and it's just been general maintainance required.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Since I went to the Meg I wouldn't have another Clio again unless I could get a good Williams - I LOVE it.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Tunst something wrong with your megane then.
mine does at least 28mpg with ease. rods do go over numbers and are like chocolate when your at 300ftlb of torque

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
mine does at least 28mpg with ease. rods do go over numbers and are like chocolate when your at 300ftlb of torque

The problem with the rods, is a lack of consistancy in their production, much like the pistons, so some will be ok at 300 and some wont.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Its not my problem any more sold it a few weeks ago.. I think the new owner is on MS..

RB 182 195bhp
I've also noticed no one seems to bother with s/s exhausts? Is this purely because they aren't that old yet or are standard exhausts pretty unrestrictive as is?

225 Cup & Williams
I've also noticed no one seems to bother with s/s exhausts? Is this purely because they aren't that old yet or are standard exhausts pretty unrestrictive as is?

Standard exhaust is good for 290 bhp supposedly. Standard is too quiet for me and the back box chop sounds terrible. I've got a Miltek cat back fitted and love the sound of it.

GW Stage 2 R26
Plenty have people have ss exhausts.. I have a 3inch ktec system. Worth it for looks alone tbh. It's not too loud and it's pops and bangs on the overrun lovely.. Some people do run 300ftlb of torque with no problems. Others have bent con rods at less. I think it's partially down to how they are driven. I rarely drive mine in stage 2 though just incase.. If you are getting low mpg you need new injectors.

The mpg on my Meg is fine. I usually average about 31/32 per tank which is a mixture of driving.

I get 42+ on a run with the CC set to 70.

GW Stage 2 R26
I've never got about 37 and that's a steady pace at 50mph.. But I think my injectors do need cleaning/changing.