ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Zig Zag & Coil light on & off when reverse!?

2001 Clio Sport 16v
Heya all. So the other day I drove home from work and to go on my driveway - as it's a tight turn - I drive down the side road a little, then reverse up & turn, then drive forwards onto the drive. When drove down the side road that night, I noticed the Zig zag & Coil warning light come on in orange. When I put the car into reverse, it turned off.

I thought it was strange its not done that before.

So I left it and I've been to work again tonight. Everything fine on the way. When I started driving home after filling up at the garage, the light came back on again. It drove home fine with it on.
As I drove down the side road again, I put it into reverse and the light went back off...

Could anyone help me with what the issue could be and if I will be ok driving it still?

Thanks in advance

Bex

On the 1.2s there is a bit of loom that chafes and eventually shorts out - bring on the aforementioned 'heartbeat' light. Could be this and when you put it in reverse, the loom is pulled away from it's short a little.
I think this can cause it to run roughly too - hence the coil warning light. I believe it rubs around the ECU metal cover, near your battery.
It might be worth having a look to see if the wires have rubbed through, if they have, make sure you re-insulate them with some fresh tape, nice and thick so it doesnt wear down again.