ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio172 vs. A3 S3 1.8T

Clio RS 172

Hey Lads..

Do any of U lads tryed this ?? I always think that the only talk in here is vs CTR ;)

Regards |sAs|

No point in an unmodified 172. The S3 is faaaaaast. I would love one of those. It looks good, goes like stink and the Audi build quality is second to none. However the 23k+ price tag was a bit high for me.

in a straight line i played with one of these upto 130mph and it was level all the way, 225bhp maybe but they are alot heavier and there is the added transmission loss associated with 4wd

The first S3 was about 210bhp (please correct me if Im wrong), then audi deceided to have the same setup as the TT with 225bhp. Not sure what the 0-60 times are but If you are both (172 v 225) on a rolling start the times would almost match. Otherwise 4wd would have slight advantage and start infront, then the 172 could catch up.

As 172loony said weight is the major factor.

Both worth a try!

we were from a standstill on a dual carridgeway at a set of traffic lights, he got away slightly better but from then on there wasnt a rizla paper splitting us, im sure a few other 172 owners have found this the same when they have come up against one

Rangerover Supercharged

Well Chaps

I came up against one Silver S3 in Rochdale the other week, I did not see the b*****d at first, I pulled out to overtake 3 slow cars and then looked in my rear view mirror and saw this up my arse, I put the boot down and could not pull away from him, got into fourth gear and sh*t myself doin 100 in a 30 zone so I slowed down, he then went blasting past me.

Ive got to admit in fourth he was gaining on me, when it went past me it was running on 18s and looked like it had a few body mods, Ive only done 2500 miles in my cup so its not run in yet.

Cant wait to see the b*****d at the lights.

So watch out people they defo pull well after the first 3 gears.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

i agree,ive had a race with a couple of these and i do well till i get to a ton then they start to come past.still ,its nice to know they spent 12 grand more than me for such a little gain..

BMW X5, Exige 260.

Yep, the crucial point here is that the S3 driver will be more pissed off than you at the results of the race...even if they eventually get past into 3 figure territory.

u can pick up 180bhp A3s for as little as £14 new from supermarkets, all u need to do is chip it to 225 or 250 and get a beta spoiler and u save 8k! thats my future plan neway

Rangerover Supercharged

Im gonna go looking for the b*****d tonight and give him a good pasting, Ive gotta admit the f**kin thing sounded really nice as it went tearing past me, are they turbo charged, Im sure I heard a dump valve going ten to the dozen.

320d M Sport

the S3 is a heavy car!!! i stayed with one from 20 to 90 with 3 people in mine, and just him in his.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

the s3 is turbo charged and also has different cams and inlet manifold.the 180 bhp one has already been chipped cos its the 150bhp one from the standard 1.8t golf..as for figures the s3 does 0-60 in 6.6 and 0-100 in 17.5.....top speed is 153mph.so a cup driven well+on the day should leave the s3 feeling disturbed.........

Rangerover Supercharged

Have you heard the f**king exhaust note these things make when they take off, does anyone know what system they use.

My Cup lets out quite a nice howl but f**k me the S3 sounds awsome, has anyone got any suggestions for a exhaust for the Cup.

There is no 180bhp S3 - only the original 210bhp variant and the later 225bhp version. There is, however, a regualar A3 1.8T (150bhp) and the 1.8T Quattro (180bhp).

The power to weight and performance figures of both the earlier and later S3 put it well within the 172s league.

Clio RS 172

BTW i knocked a Peugeot 206 Gti tuned to 173Hp... it was quick, but i could overtake him almost anytime :D

CTR EK9 turbo

yep raced an S3 and was slightly quicker through my gears pushing him upto speed and then at top speeds it was even stevens......this was a brand new one 225 bhp - really nice interior. The driver was a nut case/druggy (snorted a line of coke after the race - oh dear)