ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clios on Watchdog now!!

Mini Cooper S sport
Clios on Watchdog!

They're on about faulty bonnet catches which undo as people are driving along, smashing the windscreen & roof.

Seems to be only Mk 2 phase 1s ('98-2001), they were changed after December 2001.

I've not heard about this happening to anyone on here though.

Last edited:
  120d Sport
Racing Blue said:
They're on about faulty bonnet catches which undo as poeple are driving along, smashing the windscreen.

Thats bcos the build quality was very poor on the older clios and the dealers are extremly poor.

The new ones are cool

TDI tyre shreader
i was just watching this aswell, has this ever happened to anyone on here?? ive never heard of it.

Oh and that 'new mechanism' is on the mk3 clio

Boxster S
Yeah I'm watching this too, although considering how many clios have been made this hardly looks like a widespread problem.

A billion clios and 5 people have faults?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Renault = Cheap parts.

Chances are they havent been lubricated by the dealers (who are s**t)

Never had one case of this on here, sounds like arse crackers.

Clio 1.4, SV650S
lol didnt get here quick enough.

renault dealerships will be full of old people getting their cars checked!!

geez a V6 and a full tank..!

Seriously, milage is getting high now...need something to go wrong with it that i can blame "them" for...

it all comes down to the build quality again...(pish)

Banana
All mk2's have the cheap plastic catch. Just make sure its pushed back in before you drop the bonnet and it should be fine.

Clio 172mk2
some one guna put pics of em both , i mean mines a 172mk2 but sure it has a plastic pull handle , and that round bonet pin thing

RenaultSport clio 172
I just read the following on the internet, am quite worried cause my car beeps occasionally (2001 clio sport 172) when I lock the doors.

I called my local Renault dealer as I was worried that my car was beeping occasionally when I locked my car. I was told that it might be a loose connection by an expert and was it possible for me to drive around with this fault for a month to see if it would fix itself. I refused to do this.
I then contacted Renault Edinburgh to ask about the beeping. I was told this was a fault and could I take in the car for a check.
I took the car in and I told the service desk the alarm was beeping 3 times on some occasions when locking the doors.
The expert told me there was a fault with the bonnet catch and this had been adjusted.
The beeping was still occurring so I booked the car in again to Renault Edinburgh. Again, diagnosis was the bonnet catch. The garage washed and polished my car because they were bored. It was raining! I was in a capital city and no one called to tell me my car was ready for collection. I was then forced to travel home in rush hour traffic.
Later that evening, after it had stopped raining I noticed a dent above the bonnet catch. This was not there before I took the car to the service department.
I phoned after the weekend to complain to Renault Edinburgh's customer service manager. I was not apologized to. I was told the that she would get the service department to phone me.
Three days passed and I had no returned phone call. I called Renault Edinburgh. I eventually spoke to the service department. I told them about the dent and the alarm was still beeping three times occasionally. I got no apology from the service department. I agreed to take my across so they could see the dent.
The service department agreed to fix the dent, but I would have to book it in to the body shop. I would get the alarm looked at that day.
Again I did not get a phone call to tell me my car was ready for collection.
This time the alarm expert said he could not find anything wrong with the alarm. He said he had never heard of the alarm beeping three times before.
I booked my car in for the body shop and again went home thinking that my alarm was faulty.
On arriving home I received a phone call from Renault Edinburgh informing me that they had read an alarm manual (which I should have received with the car) and the beeping was a function of the alarm!!
I had to return to Renault Edinburgh another two days to take my car to the body shop and pick it up. I got a horrible courtesy car and when I picked up my own car it had gluey patches on the body work and dirt on the interior.
Over 200 miles driving to and from garages, 5 days wasted, holidays taken from work and stress and inconvenience caused. I was offered a free service from Renault UK as Renault Edinburgh disagreed with me.
My service is not due for over a year.

I saw this before and thought all MK2 Clios use the same catch?

I had an 01 Dynamique before the 182 with no probs.

Turbos.
Mines a '02 but it must be older than that as it has this older catch.

What i don't get is that they showed the new one but that wasn't a post '01 car, wasn't it a new shape Clio or a Megane?

I have a 05 plate and have the plastic catch thing....

so whats all this its only on the 98 - 01 cars.

fooking renault sold me a 01 plate in disguise.

anyway my catch seems fine. there must be a 2 catch thingy no? The bonnet latch on the inside of the car results in my bonnent not moving up . i have to lift it up myself and then stick me hand under and pull the said plastic catch. so in my mind this is a 2 stage catch.

seems like that its sensible to check that yer bonnet is locked when you close it. as this is what i do ....check it

walk away

think about it

then got back to check it again....

seesh the joys of having a motor.

i even check my doors after i lock with the alarm.

does anyone else do this ? or am i just the saddest b*****d on the CS forum

Clio 200 Raider
Wan82 said:

i even check my doors after i lock with the alarm.

does anyone else do this ? or am i just the saddest b*****d on the CS forum

lol i do this too mate and often walk away from the car then think s**t did i lock it then i go back to the car only to find ive locked it so i look a right muppet especially in car parks.

Agree with you about the catch aswell same on my 53 plate cup. hopefully its failry safe i would say

The Beast MK4
Happened to me before my CS days!

New bonnet required, window smashed and aerial forced into the roof :(
£350 to fix. I WD40 the latch every so often to avoid it happening again!

Bonnet1.jpg

Octavia VRS
ahh brilliant just what I need! lol

Jon that looked a sore one, must have came as a shock

and Wan82 I do the same - check everything...about 3 times lol

Last edited:
  172 Cup
Just buy some bonnet pins, looks cooler too. i check to see if my cars locked too, but i just press the button again and see if it flashes once or twice. even if i unlock it it locks itself after a min. if im really far away i hold the key to my head and jump around abit. usually does the trick.

_Kenny_ said:
ahh brilliant just what I need! lol

Jon that looked a sore one, must have came as a shock

and Wan82 I do the same - check everything...about 3 times lol

i check each door and the boot. what ever i am closet too. mostly its a press of the boot button and 3 tries at the door handle.

now i have to add to my routine a pre start bonnet check.

Wan "obsessive compulsive disordered" 82

Jonaldinho said:
Happened to me before my CS days!

New bonnet required, window smashed and aerial forced into the roof :(
£350 to fix. I WD40 the latch every so often to avoid it happening again!

Bonnet1.jpg

nasty one m8. i took a look at mine as soon as i saw watchdog. looks a bit dirty underther with a bit of salt residue too. i'll give it a squirt tmrw......

and i'll oil the bonnet latch too.

i saw the end of this not very much just it was clio's.so i take it if they've all got the same latch up to 05 and it's more common as the parts wear etc?come to think of it i've had the bonnet catch jam when i've went to shut it a few times and needed to give it a knock with a screwdriver,but then it's pretty common on bootlocks doing this too.
definetly something anyone checks(or should)when they close the bonnet that it locked in place,but then if it isnt the spring on the bottom of it will make it stick up about an inch so it's pretty obvious

I used to have a valver !
LO from the friendly neighbourhood watch ( Read old geezer peeping through windows from neighbouring UK forum to see what the clio forums have to offer in terms of advice )..

Great forum and have also seen you lot at Donnington last year ( nice turn up and some wild motors dudes !! )

Anyhow did anyone see which forum was shown in the clip ?

Has anyone got a link to a video clip of this potentially unashamed media "arse crackers" please..

Tending to agree strongly that this was the secondary catch not the main and that also a "dab of grease on your latch in private" will save you a very dangerous & embarrasing fate in public..

PS:- Renault Dealers deserve to be inundated if they can't be bothered to look at the claims and issue some advice me finks..

1.4 16v dynamique
a mate of mine with a mk2 ph2 1.216v extreme had his bonnet catch fail when he was driving at 30mph, damage wasnt too bad imo, bonnet was knackered of course and a small dent on the roof where the bonnet had smacked it, i always thought it was just him being a spaz :quiet:

Lee

BMW M2C
Tom said:
Renault = Cheap parts.

Chances are they havent been lubricated by the dealers (who are sh*t)

Never had one case of this on here, sounds like arse crackers.

That seems a more common one on here, not being lubed up properly. I know a few people who haven't been able to open their bonnets for that reason.

Funny thing is this happened to me a few years back on a Renault Espace.

If bonnets flying open is a common thing you would think more people on here would have experienced it to be honest. You lot moan about everything as it is. ;)