ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clios on Watchdog now!!

A well built VW
I have just recieved this email which may be of interest to those who have suffered and for more info

We would just like to bring to your attention this thread:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/gene...chdog-report-failure-clio-bonnet-catches.html

Tonight's BBC Watchdog report featured an investigation into Renault Clio bonnet catch failures. If you have experienced this problem, we would love to hear from you. Any useful information on the subject will be passed on to the BBC

RB 200 Cup!
saw that last night - glad i dont have a 1998 - 2001 model! still its really dangerous - shitty plastic renault parts

Octavia VRS
Tbh, I've only had one incident with my bonnet and that was last July when I couldn't seem to open the damn thing one morning.

As said before tho, I always check it after I close it

Lots of Alfas
I have a 2000 Clio and when you release the bonnet catch in the car the bonnet flips up and u can easily just lift it, there is no 2nd safety catch that you have to lift so you can fully open it like on my mums 2001 ph2, however Im sure it didnt used to. It was probably the way the Renault mechanics always slam the bonnets after a service, they probably broke it, makes me cringe every time they do it.

Last edited:
  Octavia VRS
Mine's is a 2000 too Dave and as well as the lever in the passenger side in the car, there is also a catch that you have to lift when opening the bonnet??

Lots of Alfas
Yes there should be Kenny, the problem is with the metal and plastic safety catches. The plastic ones because they are weak and the metal ones because the safety catch seizes up and gets stuck in the bonnet-open position. This effects ALL the mk2 Clios but mainly the ph1s as they are older. The problem does lie with lack of lubrication in the catch on the bonnet. The catch on the bonnet should move freely back and the spring should push it forward if it doesnt your safety catch isnt working. However the catch on the car needs lubrication aswel as this can jam causing the bonnet to be sticky or not to shut. I must admit I havnt seen a plastic one on any of the Clios I have owned.

Peddled device
My car has been bleeping 3 times most times when remote locked ever since they did the temp sensor last week.I'm gonna check it out now....

Kiev85 said:
i would love that to happen to me...

see what renault would give me for compensation...

what if they offered to pay for your coffin! would that please you...

i'm hoping for a couple of wheels to fall off on the motorway, that must be worth a couple of grand compo!!

admob said:
what if they offered to pay for your coffin! would that please you...

nah...not askin for much, a cremation?

but seriously when i bought my car new...i wasnt expecting to go have to check things like this...

it should have been working before it was put on the car...(especially 172/182 as they can go a lot faster and are probably more prone to bonnets opening like this)...

once again renault youve arsed it up...well done

geez a new car

The Beast MK4
_Kenny_ said:
ahh brilliant just what I need! lol

Jon that looked a sore one, must have came as a shock

and Wan82 I do the same - check everything...about 3 times lol

Shocks an understatement mate, click click BOOM! Bonnet hits the windscreen and stays up blocking my view and interior light gets thrown towards me! Was a pain getting the thing back down as well. :mad:

Thank god no one was in front or behind me on the road or there could have been trouble.

Mini Cooper S sport
The Big Yin said:
I have just recieved this email which may be of interest to those who have suffered and for more info

We would just like to bring to your attention this thread:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/6471-bbc-watchdog-report-failure-clio-bonnet-catches.html

Tonight's BBC Watchdog report featured an investigation into Renault Clio bonnet catch failures. If you have experienced this problem, we would love to hear from you. Any useful information on the subject will be passed on to the BBC

Ahhh that was the forum! I wondered what it was, and thought she should have used CS haha.

davebem said:
It was probably the way the Renault mechanics always slam the bonnets after a service, they probably broke it

Yeah, I've noticed a dent in my bonnet recently, you can only see it from certain angles. It was at Renault a few weeks ago to replace the alternator, I bet they bloody did it :mad: .

Clio 1.4, SV650S
Just a suggestion on proper selection of lube... if you're going to lube some sort of tight orafice that isn't in regular use; i always find it best to use some sort of grease... it won't be as dry. ouch.

Products like WD-40 are light oils and will clean the surface and dispell water but the mechanism will be dry as a bone very shortly. some sort of grease will provide lubrication and will stay there longer, providing lovely slick protection.

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

BMW 330d :)
Jonaldinho said:
Happened to me before my CS days!

New bonnet required, window smashed and aerial forced into the roof :(
£350 to fix. I WD40 the latch every so often to avoid it happening again!

Bonnet1.jpg

Looks like some fat person sat on your bonnet ;) lol Glad you got it fixed though

172 Cup
entjm said:
Just a suggestion on proper selection of lube... if you're going to lube some sort of tight orafice that isn't in regular use; i always find it best to use some sort of grease... it won't be as dry. ouch.

Products like WD-40 are light oils and will clean the surface and dispell water but the mechanism will be dry as a bone very shortly. some sort of grease will provide lubrication and will stay there longer, providing lovely slick protection.

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

I agree

RALLYPUG said:
My car has been bleeping 3 times most times when remote locked ever since they did the temp sensor last week.I'm gonna check it out now....
You're not having much luck with your new car, are you Rallypug??

BG 182 FF
weird that. my 2001 ph2 fooked up, wudnt close properly. was jus hangin on by the bit what you hav to pull under the bonnet. the garage i got it from replaced the latch within a few days, now its ok.