ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clunking, vibrating, rattling when accelerating

Getting much worse now it will even do it if I accelerate hard in 4th and 5th. The engine doesnt seem to be moving and the garage told me its the lower gearbox mount.

Is this the dogbone mount? As I have already purchased a powerflex one that needs to be fitted. Is it likely to be this that is the problem or are there other gearbox mounts? How many gearbox mounts in total?

Mec 350 slk manual
I would just change the dogbone mount with the power flex one , and yes you have a top gearbox mount under the battery

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
There are 4 mounts overall.

2 engine mounts. 1 lower and 1 upper. The upper engine mount is the one you can see from above the engine, to the left if looking from the front of the car. It is held to the chassis with 4 bolts. The lower engine mount is the dogbone mount and the one you are to replace it with.

2 gearbox mounts. 1 lower and 1 upper. The upper gearbox mount is again, from above but this time to the right and you gain access to it by removing the battery. The lower gearbox mount looks like a wedge and you gain access to it by removing the nearside wheel and opening a little flap.

Hope that helps.

There are 4 mounts overall.

2 engine mounts. 1 lower and 1 upper. The upper engine mount is the one you can see from above the engine, to the left if looking from the front of the car. It is held to the chassis with 4 bolts. The lower engine mount is the dogbone mount and the one you are to replace it with.

2 gearbox mounts. 1 lower and 1 upper. The upper gearbox mount is again, from above but this time to the right and you gain access to it by removing the battery. The lower gearbox mount looks like a wedge and you gain access to it by removing the nearside wheel and opening a little flap.

Hope that helps.
Well changing the dogbone Is just good practice from what I hear. The noise seems to be coming from the lower gearbox mount then as the noise feels like its near the front right wheel.

PH2 172
clio top gearbox mount.jpg
clio front gearbox mount.jpg
clio rear gearbox mount.jpg
clio rh top engine mount.jpg

Top gearbox mount under battery.
Front lower gearbox mount.
Dogbone lower rear gearbox mount.
Right hand top engine mount.

Cheers bud the garage has fitted the dogbone and reported the noise is gone apart from an occasional knock. They suggested it could be the drivers side mount but it wasnt neccesary to replace it yet.

Clio mk2 1.4 16v
Any recommendations on which dogbone is best to buy and where to get it from?

I'm currently getting a LOT of gear stick wobble that I want to get rid of!

The black is probably best but most people including myself go for the purple.

I would go for the black personally as I now have two Uprated mounts (dogbone and drivers engine) and there is no extra vibration.

Only vibrations I have are from my tigersealed rear exhaust mount.