ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch Cable Again - Why Why Why!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

My clutch cable has snapped again for the forth time in a year! Yay! The thing is that i had a new clutch + Cable about 2 months ago!

When i took it to a Renatec that deals with load of clio 16vs and willys a while back he said my clio has the heaviest clutch hes had there and thats with 250 on the books!

Why is it so heavy? It keeps snappin cables all the time!

Any ideas anyone? Oh yeah and it snaps by the cutch peddle every time!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Nah its pretty much brand new!

It snapped cables with the old clutch and the new!

i dotnno what it is with them, when mine went the first time, i was stuffed so ended up gettign some home repair bloek come and do it on my driveway, thoguht it was fine, but it went again within a few months got him to do it again, then yup went again, now i dotn think it was my driving, so the last time it went i took it to a garage, new the clutch was on its way out so had that done, and they told me that cos the clutch was dodgy wa sputtign extra strain on the cable and also matey hadnt routed it correctly so i dotn no if that was anythign to do with it. yeah thats where mien went everytime, right behind the pedal.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Dont really know what my mate on bout but he said it could be some self tensioner or something thats on the clutch peddle. Does this make any sense? Could it be that?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

They have been genuine cables but as for routing i aint a clue! Ive had two different garages fit them so surely both cant be wrong?

For the first few miles after having one fitted it seems nice and soft but slowly gets nasty until it snaps!

is ure a phase 1 or 2 ? if its a phase 1 have u changed the peadle box as this was modified on the phase 2 to put less tention on the cable

Look where the clutch cable goes as it goes up into the bellhousing to clip into the pedal check , buy poking your fingers up if there is anything getting in the way causing it to be miss alligned, ive had three go on me too. its rather easy to change them now as im use to it. I always carry a spare in the boot just in case

Fear not - the clutch cable king is here.... i too have had my FAIR share of clutch cables go on me as most people will tell you.

Where have you been having the cable replaced? ie local garage or reno? Becuase if reno had changed the cable they back it with a 1 year guarantee. Not only that - you would have been informed about a modified clutch ped they brought out to fix the issue. It takes the stress away from the cable by routing it under the ped, and not over the top.

Since having this new ped fitted - ive had NO issues what so ever with cables snapping, HOWEVER................... i have had 2 broken pedals since they first fitted the replacment. Again all covered by Reno 1yrs parts and fitting...

in my view - this should have been a recall - the R19 16v had the same issues. I wrote a massive long letter to reno UK about it, and they agreed to pay for pedal and cable + cost of labour for free.

Why should we pay for a design fault that reno cocked up on.

Good luck with it fella, get the ped changed ASAP.

James (the clutch ped/cable master)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Its only been a local garage that fitted the clutch and the cables. My Dad uses them for his business though so they wont mess me about cus he brings them alot of business, well he takes his 12 trucks there.

The kiddie their said he did have to change the peddal on a phs 1 valver, looked at mine and said its already been changed.

Im gunna get them to try and sort the prob as they just said then on the phone they will do it free of charge as they have done all the work.

Still gunna write to renault though as i want them to fix their c**k up!

You got a draught of your letter?;)

ill have a look mate, but im not sure i have.

regardless if its a phase 1 or 2 the problem is still evident on both. Mine is a phase 2 and still my clutch cables snapped like no tomrrow. If the bloke is saying you already have the updated ped (which i cant see how he can tell unless he deals in just clios cuz its not something you would know)

The way to test is to look at where the cable is being routed - if the cable is connected to the bottom of the ped - then its been changed - if it routed over the top of the ped (over the adjuster arm) then its the sh*te one and you need it replaced.

Theres only so many cables you can replace until u start getting really fecked off! not only that its dangerous if your caught out on a motorway etc..

i had a phase 2, and when my new clutch and cabel were fitted i got them to fit the new pedal, it has been alright eva since touch wood.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

is the clutch fork plastic pivot point in the bell housing worn.is the clutch harsh or do have have difficulty in getting gears?