ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch for the nurburgring

182, DCI 80, 5 GTT R
So making the trip over to the ring at the beggining of next month, see what the cars capable of. Clitch is showing signs of going out. I know the general consensis is that valeo is more than enough for the 182, but for going to the ring would it be money well spent you think? Im thinking probably not? But thought id see what everyones views are...go!

53 Clio's & counting
Yes fit a standard Valeo clutch. You do not want to be going out there with the idea of driving as hard as you can or as you put it 'seeing what the cars capable of' - there is NO run off and you're 700 miles from home so don t get carried away, just enjoy the drive around it and don't go mental - I have had some close calls out there so take it from experience.

Plus if you want to try to go fast, buy a track day, don't do a tourist day - nothing worse than setting yourself up for that 80mph corner and getting half way round to find a bus pootling along at 35mph

Besides, the standard clutch will be fine, your not going to buy, and fit a clutch especially just for the Ring, and on top of that 200+bhp Clios last on the standard clutch, unless you leave your foot resting on the clutch pedal all the time and burn clutches out quickly, the standard one will be fine - it's bar far not the weakest link anyway

RB 182 Cup
I would imagine a fast track (albeit its actually a road) like the Nurburgring wouldn't be too hard on a clutch at all, as are n/a cars as apposed to high torque, low rpm spiking cars like turbos.

Unlike a short tight track where you're more likely to lose time on gear changes etc, I think the Nurburgring's sheer size will mean a lack of knowledge of all its corners will lose you more time than anything else until you really know it well.

182, DCI 80, 5 GTT R
Yeah both of you are thinking the same as me. How did you find it russ? Supposidly its pretty hard going?

53 Clio's & counting
It's great, but very grounding - I mean apart from a few corners there is literally no run off - so no matter what speed you're doing, if you spin/tyre blows/dodge a rabbit, you can be in serious trouble.

Another tough thing is remembering which way the track goes - I played it a few times a week on the Playstation 2 when it first came out on Gran Tourismo, for a good 6 months before I went - it helped, but it simply doesn't give you an idea how much the track rises and falls.

It is a brilliant place, and a fantastic track/road, but as long as you DONT time laps, and drive at 7/10ths then you will have a fantastic time :)

Suzuki Jimny
Just lap like you would drive on a uk b road that you've never driven before. Oh and watch your mirrors, a GT3RS closing in at 100mph quicker than you certainly wakes you up...

172 cup
Just lap like you would drive on a uk b road that you've never driven before. Oh and watch your mirrors, a GT3RS closing in at 100mph quicker than you certainly wakes you up...
100% this!! The gt3rs's just seem to come from nowhere! Awesome cars

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Indeed, I s**t myself for the first few corners with bikes, Porsches and Corvettes blasting past you. Amazing experience though.

How do you know your clutch is going? It's slipping?