ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch or gearbox or paranoia

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

So Ill admit Im always paranoid about the clutch/gearbox on cars Ive owned. And once you start concentrating on a possible problem ...

So when I first got my Clio 172 thought gearbox was dead smooth compared with my previous Citroen Xsara VTS. However, now I reckon the clutch on the Clio is dragging, but not all the time. Sometimes when I put it in first I get a definite clonk and the car bumps a bit - even tho clutch is to the floor. Also reckon other changes are more notchy now. Seem to be doing the old clutch-down clutch-up clutch-down more frequently when putting it in reverse and sometimes first.

Searching ClioSport fora seems that 172 boxes arent great! Anybody else seen this sort of thing? Should I be getting this looked at? Or is it just how they are? It was originally imported from EU by a Renault dealer ... so I dont get the UK 3-year warranty. Expect a new clutch will cost a stack!? Dont want to screw the gearbox cause thatd be even more expensive!

Cheers!

my clutch wore quite fast, and its quite a small item, in my mind, its not the best clutch, box is fine though.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Id have thought its all in the mind if you r a REALLY paranoid person. Cause as you get the total feel for the car, you seem to notice tiny imperfections and then magnifie them. Happened to me in my 16v a little but theres absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Id also imagine your accelaration is 10x smoother than a 16v/Williams when putting your foot down after changing gear. Only a thought. ;)

it is a MK1.....and could have done plenty of miles on the original clutch....and abuse doesnt help.....lol

dude the clunk is normal....... weve all had the first gear clunk occasionally.... was told theres nothing wrong......