ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch replaced.... now having issues

Clio Sport 172 RS
Hi All,

Had the clutch replaced on my 172 p2 yesterday using an Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit as the clutch release bearing had died. As part of this the flywheel was also machined.

When going to pick the car up, the mechanic said he was concerned about the clutch but fitted it anyway... and said something about the pressure plate. Now when I depress the clutch its perfectly fine and quiet until ~90-95% depressed, when it makes a nasty little grinding noise.

The clutch is fully released by ~85% depression (before the noise starts)

The mechanic is trying to tell me I shouldn't worry, something about the thick new clutch causing something with the pressure plate (didn't quite catch his explanation). Mentioned that the non-adjustable clutch cable of the Clio's had something to do with it.

Also of note, the clutch is a TON lighter than it used to be... if that helps.

Anyone able to clear up what this may be, because it certainly sounds fishy to me?

definatly self adjusts theres a rachet type mechanism on the pedal. has this bloke ever fitted a clutch before? sounds to me that a couple of the bolts what bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel are'nt tightened properly witch is causing the dissengagement of the clutch to be out by a mm or so???

or a dud release bearing?? i always put a slight bit of high melting point grease on the bearing and gearbox shaft!

i might be wrong the way i explained the above:eek: ( iam ready for the ripping):rasp:

Clio Sport 172 RS
He's telling me the clutch is sitting high causing the throwout bearing being pressed way too far. The clutch fingers are going too far in and starting to scrape the clutch disc spring housing.

Because of the auto-adjustable clutch cable he is saying there is nothing he can do.... surely there is some way of manually setting the clutch cable?

load of sht? throwout beraring??? he has cocked somthing up and isn't willing to put it right. the pressure plate fingers would never scrape the clutch disc spring housing!! he is fobbing you off!!!! name and shame the garage.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The clutch fingers are going too far in and starting to scrape the clutch disc spring housing.

IF that's the case then the wrong clutch has been fitted - That is all.

Because of the auto-adjustable clutch cable he is saying there is nothing he can do.... surely there is some way of manually setting the clutch cable?

It is possible to get a little "Adjustment" from the clutch rachet but not enough to make a problem like this dissapear - personally, I think a wrong clutch has been fitted. Out of curiosity, have you measured the clutch arm movement? If not, will you please... from "rest" to "fully engaged"?

Mick

Clio Sport 172 RS
It is possible to get a little "Adjustment" from the clutch rachet but not enough to make a problem like this dissapear - personally, I think a wrong clutch has been fitted. Out of curiosity, have you measured the clutch arm movement? If not, will you please... from "rest" to "fully engaged"
Forgive my ignorance, but the clutch arm you're talking about is the connection from the cable into the gearbox right?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Forgive my ignorance, but the clutch arm you're talking about is the connection from the cable into the gearbox right?

That's the one - :approve: - you will need the aid of a friend to do this job (unless you've got stupidly long arms/legs)

Mick