ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch Replacement. And What Else

Im getting the clutch on my 16v replaced in a weeks time. Is there anything else I should get done at the same time to save on Money? Like, gear box, steering rack etc?

Also any idea how much it will cost, How many hows it should take?

and totally off topic, Ive lost the key to undo the cover on my mk1 ph1 wheels, where the hell do I get a new one cheap?

erm....dunno about the wheel thing for a cheap answer.....unless you make your own.

As for the clutch...is the engine comming out?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

make sure the clutch kit includes a release bearing.doubt the keys are avaliable anymore just use some long nose pliers.

and if the engines coming out id get the cambelt, tensioners, idler pulley and water pump changed too if they aint been done!

Yeah release bearing thirded! If your going for an uprated 3 piece clutch kit it will come with it as my K-tech one did!!

Also it may be worth doing the clutch cable too!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

well i wouldnt no but other people might.ive ordered some cheap aftermarket clutches before and theyve come without a release bearing.

You should see the problems i had trying to find a caterham clutch assembly in hK, which is essentially 1/2 seirra and 1/2 rover, of which neither are in HK lol.

So does the engine HAVE to come out to replace the clutch?

And to recap, if the engine is coming out, it going to be well worth doing:cambelt, tensioners, idler pulley and water pump?

Anyone no how much it will be to replce with a standard clutch?

How much is the part?

Im a little worried by the expense.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you can replace the clutch with the engine in just by moving the gearbox to the side,a bit tight but it can be done.some garages prefer to take the engine out so it all depends on who is doing it.if the garage remove the engine then it might be an idea to replace the cambelt as well if its getting near the time.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Clutch is about £60 for standard valeo unit. Hillpower says that is good enough.

Labour quoted anythingfrom 6 to 12 hours depending if it is engine out (12 hours) or working underneath/taking subframe out or whatever.

Gor mine done by my local mechanic for £150 cash in hand and got the clutch myself discounted from gsf. Think someone on here got theres done at Mr Clutch for just under 300 including clutch.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by JimmySaville. on 08 February 2004

Thanks for that.

Is it just me or is owning a 16v a bit depressing. Sure I love it, but there always seems to be something wrong with it.
the lovely world of renault ownership

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 08 February 2004

You should see the problems i had trying to find a caterham clutch assembly in hK, which is essentially 1/2 seirra and 1/2 rover, of which neither are in HK lol.
thats been like 6 months!!!!