ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clutch squeal , please help a newbie ... please please ...... broken arrow

Clio 172
hi after years of suffering with meganes ..... sigh .... i have now got a 51 plate 172 , however when i press the clutch in it squeals like a bag of pigs lol , when i dont touch the pedal its fine .... whats up with the bugger lol oh and the clutch pedal feels fine ... wtf??
thanks guys for any help in advance .
mike

Arctic 182, GTD
Could it no be that clutch plate isn't pulling away from the flywheel evenly? I swear I had a customer with a similar problem and it worked out to be that, on top of it slightly leaking gearbox oil on the plate too. Just a thought.

Clio 172
its squealing only when clutch is pressed .... the pedal feels firm and bite point is ok ... dont know common faults etc with these .

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Clutch release bearing works the other way.

Quiet when clutch pressed, noisy when not pressed

I think it can work both ways TBH. Mine was just starting to do it when the clutch was depressed. Foot off the clutch and it squealed like hell. New bearing - problem gone.

Clio 172
Like I say when I'm driving along all is fine , then the slightest touch on the clutch pedal and sqqquuuuuuuaaaaalllll lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sounds like a release bearing/clutch fault to me. The car drives okay and the noise stops whilst clutch pedal is released and the vehicle is moving yes?

If yes, rules out a gearbox fault - replace clutch kit

If no, possible gearbox internal fault -remove an inspect.

Mick

Clio 172
Mick thank god lol , can you do it for me , you did some work on my megane , I'm in oakwood with the black megane f7r .

340i
LOL at your user name!

Definitely a clutch / release bearing fault there, new clutch kit required.

How many miles has the car done out of interest?

Clio 172
84000, it drives fine , small knock on offside suspension when braking quite hard (top mounts?) but clutch in an squeal, clutch out and its ok , also it has a pipercross filter .... i will swap this for standard airbox if someone has one.
thanks

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's almost certainly the clutch. release bearings can seize up aswell as getting loose so loading them up can work in different ways.

Only other possibility would be a worn crankshaft thrust bearing, but that would be very unusual

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I remember you chap.... still got the coupe or did it go in the end? Also you emailed me earlier so i'll get the price to you ASAP. Just finished off a timing belt on a 3.0 Espace and i'm officialy D-U-N for the day because that wasn't fun.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I remember you chap.... still got the coupe or did it go in the end? Also you emailed me earlier so i'll get the price to you ASAP. Just finished off a timing belt on a 3.0 Espace and i'm officialy D-U-N for the day because that wasn't fun.

you poor b*****d. I've got to quote on a 3.0 diesel Espace cambelt. Really looking forward to it

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've done a few of those Dan... Piece of piss on the 3.0dCi

Once you strip all the plastics out the only thing you need to watch is the fuel pump mark as it walks slightly even when pinned. New tensioners and belt on, rip out the tensioner pin and your done... Thanks Isuzu.

I also had to change all six glow plugs on one. Front bank is for nothing but the rear bank is nightmare material as you've basically got to remove the entire high pres. side of the fuel system and the EGR.

Big old trucks those Espace IV's and would honestly love an Exec. Even the stereo has a proper full size remote to work it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I had one in for brakes a little while ago, stupid electric handbrake..... had to leave it running just to get it in the right place to put on the ramp. Insanely big car!