ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coaxial & Component

Clio Billabong 1.2
Hello.

When I bought my car it had 2 Alpine Type R Components in the front, and 2 Alpine Type R Coaxials in the back.
However one of the components was blown in the front.

Would I be able to just take the components out and put the Coaxials in the front, then amp the coaxials, without having any speakers in the back?
I have 6x9's so there doesn't really NEED to be any speakers in the back.

I don't really get the difference between components and coaxials anyway.

Any help appreciated.

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Components by definition are a set of speakers, usually 2, which are controlled by a crossover. this sets a clear divide between higher and mid/low frequencies (treble and bass effectively).

The sound is sent from the crossover to either the tweeter or the speaker depending what frequency is being sent to the crossover.

Coaxials are basically the same as the door speakers and rears that renault put in standard, with no crossovers, although the fronts do have seperate tweeters in most cases.

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
If you put the co-axials in the front would the dash tweeters still work?

If not, then the sound quality might suffer as the treble will be coming from the co-axial at ankle height instead.

But then with your 6x9s you'll have a load of treble coming form the back already so I've no idea how it will sound. I've never been in a car with 6x9s.

I've been no help whatsoever, haha my bad :quiet:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Keep components (comps) up-front and a set of coaxils in the rear.

Sell the 6x9s to get some ££ towards your components.

Take this advice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you want SOUND QUALITY rather than a groovy looking parcel self :)

Polo + Micra

+1

Clio Billabong 1.2

I have generally heard the same as this from many people.
Can I ask what comps you have in your car?
Apparently the Alpine Type R's are very good, so I might go for those again, (they were blown when I got the car so I haven't heard them :()
Also the 6x9's were already in the car, so I thought it would be too much hassle to take them out and get a new parcel shelf at first.
But I think I might.
Then get a sub.
:)

Clio Billabong 1.2
Components by definition are a set of speakers, usually 2, which are controlled by a crossover. this sets a clear divide between higher and mid/low frequencies (treble and bass effectively).

The sound is sent from the crossover to either the tweeter or the speaker depending what frequency is being sent to the crossover.

Coaxials are basically the same as the door speakers and rears that renault put in standard, with no crossovers, although the fronts do have seperate tweeters in most cases.

Cheers, that's cleared a lot up.
I did initially think the main difference was something to do with the tweeters :)

Polo Bluemotion
When i first started upgrading all my ice,many moons ago, a very wise man asked gave me some great advice.......

He asked where do i sit when driving?? i looked at him very puzzled, and said the drivers seat. To which he replied, why do u want to put 6x9s on ur parcel shelf,and a sub and amp in the boot, and have all your music coming from behind you?? Its such an un natural sound!!

He advised when starting a system, u should buy these,in this order;
1)Head unit
2)Decent front components,which are more than capable of bein amped as+wen (or at least upgraded coaxials)
3)Decent coaxials in the back (again with a decent "w" for amping later)
4)a decent gauge amp kit, that has the capabilties to run two amps,even if u dont want to
5)and last but not least,a sub+amp

His idea was buy right+spend your money once, which ive followed since!! Theres no point buying rubbish gear that you will want to upgrade soon after, or change cos its not compatible.

None of this was my my opinion, but 3years later, i still follow it cos it makes so much sense!! Ive seen so many of my mates spending a fortune swapping and changing stuff, when they could of just waited,and bought the most suitable equipment 1st time round.

Im a little tipsy, but hope this makes sense!!

:lolup:

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Crystal mate. I follow the same procedure, albeit i thought of it myself, but yer same-o.

Although i'd put the sub at #3 since i love my quality bass. Upgraded speakers, or sometimes even standard, on aftermarket headunit with a decent sub is usually plenty for everyday enjoyment with minimal layout.

For something that packs a bit more punch then yer amp the speakers, but if you're not trying to compete with your mates etc then not too much need, you can only appreciate music up to a certain comfortable volume anyway.

Clio MK 4

Totally agree. I would never have 6x9's. The best combo would be to get a decent sub in the boot and some really good components up front.

And thats it.

Polo Bluemotion
Crystal mate. I follow the same procedure, albeit i thought of it myself, but yer same-o.

Although i'd put the sub at #3 since i love my quality bass. Upgraded speakers, or sometimes even standard, on aftermarket headunit with a decent sub is usually plenty for everyday enjoyment with minimal layout.

For something that packs a bit more punch then yer amp the speakers, but if you're not trying to compete with your mates etc then not too much need, you can only appreciate music up to a certain comfortable volume anyway.

Three years ago i would of agreed!! But its weird, if i had a pound for everytime ive heard someone say "im only doing this....". I know ill get some people who disagree, but its like most things, we want better things and are rarely happy with what we have got.

After spending more than id like to remember on audio equipment for quite a few cars, ive reached the stage now were im seeking quality sound, not volume. In my first car,i used to love the bass,but i couldnt hear the music, which was a bit daft really,lol. Where as in my current car, im almost happy with it now, i just need some better front components,dry cell battery and to amp everything.

Im probably goin on a little now, but its not until you sit in a professional audio demo car, like sq plus's C2 (which i blame for me being like i am!), that you can appreciate how quality sound can be.

"Navy" N17 TWO

I have generally heard the same as this from many people.
Can I ask what comps you have in your car?
Apparently the Alpine Type R's are very good, so I might go for those again, (they were blown when I got the car so I haven't heard them :()
Also the 6x9's were already in the car, so I thought it would be too much hassle to take them out and get a new parcel shelf at first.
But I think I might.
Then get a sub.
:)

I have Focal components up front mate.

See more here
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=259546