ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cobra refuse to sell me a seat frame

E30 325i & 172 Cup
I ordered a cobra extra low seat frame on line from a large retailer last night and received a phone call from them this morning. He asked what seat I was using and when I explained it wasn't a cobra, he said I couldn't have the frame. He then went on to say it was for legal reasons, in case I bodge the frame and sue Cobra if it brakes and I am injured as a result. If I want to place an order I have to supply a picture of the seat as proof. And just to add to the stupidity, the bolt spacing on the Corbeau seat and Cobra frame are exactly the same. I wonder if when you buy a cobra seat, you have to supply a picture of the frame.

E30 325i & 172 Cup
Well I emailed cobra regarding this and it seems the retailer was correct.

It is not company policy to sell Cobra subframes for fitment to other seats. Whilst it may look easy to modify fitments, the products carry no warranty if not used as intended from a product liability stand point.

Additionally, from a retailer’s point of view and ours, there is no margin in selling subframes and 9 times out of 10, if they’re not being fitted to Cobra Seats they end up being returned which costs us all money and aggravation.
We therefore only sell our frames with our seats. I know Corbeau themselves have been operating the same policy for some time.
Hope you understand our position, but R-Tec are following the correct policy.
Kind regards

I had read numerous posts on here and it seemed the main problem with the frames was that the welds looked untidy, although I did find a post where part of the frame was welded in upside down. The fact that you had to take a hammer to the tunnel has definitely put me off them.
The reasons I want the cobra frame are it has a runner, seat belt attachment and is lower that other frames. The price at R-tec BTW is about £30 cheaper than everywhere else, including demon-tweeks.
I am going do a bit more research before making any decisions on this

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
They have had a shitload of metal (for reclining seats) nicked from the storage container out back. So they have to wait 3 months and put staff on shorter weeks because of this. So they have a few issues to be fair.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I think the OMP subframe is crap aswell, sits way too far forward for taller drivers

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Find a picture of the correct seat
Send them the picture telling them "sorry, ive recently purchased the correct seat, heres a picture"
Receive subframes
Fit subframes.

Done.

Clio V6, Clio 200
I phone cobra direct about 2 months ago as I want to fit recaro seats into a clio v6 and the standard recaro mounts and subframe brckets are way too high.

The guy i spoke too said they didnt make a subframe for the clio v6 so i suspect they are now pretending not to make them!