ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coding Blank Key Fobs...again

Clio 128 GT '59'
Hi Guys, i've looked on the forum and have found a few answers yet not specifically for this question...advice if you can please?

I bought a spare key fob from a scrapyard for the electronic internals and then a new blank fob casing off eBay with a view to have the new blank cut and then coded to my Clio 111, yet is this possible?

The reason i asked is that i went to Timpsons (who will only cut keys they provide by the way) and they advised that you cant re-code the chip in the fob, instead i would need a new chip, is this correct?

I have spoken to Renault and they advise that they provide a new key (with he three buttons on) for £180 as they need to book it in to code the key to the car, yet having spent already on the above solution i'm slightly resistant to doing this.

I want to keep the same 3 button key fob and not have a different version from Timpsons, which they will supply with the V5 and VIN details.

What do you reckon?

Thanks, Cornish

If it's a renault key to be coded, i do believe it needs done by renault themselves.
I got a key for my Clio 2 from timpsons and they were able to code a generic duplicate but it doesnt operate the central locking. It does start the car though.
Timpsons were able to get me a remote key for the locking, but it'd have cost near £200 also, so i'd have been just as well getting a genuine spare.

Clio 128 GT '59'
If it's a renault key to be coded, i do believe it needs done by renault themselves.
I got a key for my Clio 2 from timpsons and they were able to code a generic duplicate but it doesnt operate the central locking. It does start the car though.
Timpsons were able to get me a remote key for the locking, but it'd have cost near £200 also, so i'd have been just as well getting a genuine spare.

Thanks Zeitgeist, thats what i thought and trying to avoid paying £180 for, yet if i need to i will have to suppose...:-(

Cornish

You can't recode an old key to a new car however you can take the UCH + locks + keys from another car and fit the whole lot but I would imagine this would be even more expensive than just getting a new key coded.

Clio 128 GT '59'
You can't recode an old key to a new car however you can take the UCH + locks + keys from another car and fit the whole lot but I would imagine this would be even more expensive than just getting a new key coded.

M26, thanks i was guessing from others that is the case, so i'll be off to Renault and buying direct from them then, thanks for the advice!

Cornish