ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coil Failure V6

3.0ltr V6

Cant believe I broke down again this morning. Managed to get to work but thought, oh god here we go again whilst travelling. Everything just goes, power, start to splutter. Called Renault Assistance and yes, the coil has gone. Only had one done about 4 months ago. Now another one! Jez. :(

clio v6

i done 22k not had one done yet.....

i fitted all 6 for dave on his at 40 k.

i did put plugs in at 10k on mine cos the renault factory ones are usually sub standard imo.

also only run optimax with occassional octane booster as well...

Alex

Dont think what fuel you use has anything to do with coil failure! Usually they fail due to vibration, bad earthing connection or overheating.

Who makes these coils for Renault?

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by hog1 on 08 August 2005

Dont think what fuel you use has anything to do with coil failure! Usually they fail due to vibration, bad earthing connection or overheating.

Who makes these coils for Renault?

the fuel causes the high tension to increase mate....so plugs and fuel do make a difference....the lower the octane the higher the voltage for some reason.....

sagem make the coils and they are crap!!!!

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 08 August 2005 at 10:47am]

clio v6

Also the larger the plug gaps the higher the voltage required to jump the gap.

as your plugs do more miles the plug gap increases due to errosion.

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

Lets face it they are crap Bosch items which fall apart in your hands if you pull both ends!!!!

Get the race ones from R Sport - £50 each - change the plugs which connect the wires and never have the problem again.

Then get rid of the crappy four tip plugs which Renault use to lengthen service life and stick some NGKs in.

Itll even start and drive better from cold.

Mike

3.0ltr V6

Ive never used anything but Optimax guys. This is the second time a coil has gone within a few months. The car runs out of warranty in 2/3 months so worried that its gonna cost a fortune next time. Anyone know how much it would normally cost out of warranty?

Quote: Originally posted by Bailey on 08 August 2005

Ive never used anything but Optimax guys. This is the second time a coil has gone within a few months. The car runs out of warranty in 2/3 months so worried that its gonna cost a fortune next time. Anyone know how much it would normally cost out of warranty?

Hi,

Stuarts car had a coil fail just after he bought it, fixed under warranty, then another failed before he had driven it out of the car park at the dealers.

Then, when out of warranty, another failed and Renault agreed to replace the failed one and the remaining 3 as a good will gesture, so my feeling is you should be OK even if the car is out of warranty.

Alos at the time the manager commented on the cost which stated would have been around £120 that was for one coil (the first to go).

Bryan

3.0ltr V6

£120 Stus! OMG! Im a single female and cant keep having those fail again and again, lol. Jez. :confused:

Thanks Smokey - all sorted now. The AA Renault Assistance guy been and gone and fixed it. On the road again!!!! :D

iIhave a cupboard full (6) if anyone wants a spare or two!!!!!!!!!!!

NGK number Ill have to dig out - I do have it somewhere and I mailed it to TRW1 - Tim you got it handy????????

V6 Clio

Quote: Originally posted by Mike T on 08 August 2005

iIhave a cupboard full (6) if anyone wants a spare or two!!!!!!!!!!!

NGK number Ill have to dig out - I do have it somewhere and I mailed it to TRW1 - Tim you got it handy????????

LASER PLATINUM Premium PLFR6A-11 7654

Thats what it says on the box........................

Hate to be a techie but I think you will find that the DSM [detonation sensing module] in the ECU is sensing fuel pre-detonation and increasing voltage output. Plugs torqued to the recommended torque in clean threads with a tiny touch of Molycote or Copaslip on the threads will reduce resistance, by helping the earthing, make the plugs easier to change and make them last a little longer. If I did 10k without checking the plugs I would be happy but then this never gets done on the 12k service at MOST Renault service centers cos the plugs are hard to get at. You should also have them check that the engine is properly earthed - zero ohms from engine to chassis.

Thanks for the NGK p/n. And yep standard coils where crap!

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Ive noticed a lot of mk1 owners have mentioned that once theyve had one coil fail, the rest follow soon afterwards. As alex said, when he found that one of mine had gone, I took no chances and had the rest done at the same time.

I cant be bothered with losing a coil every 4k miles and having repeated trips to/from the garage, plus might as well save on labour costs and have them all done whilst its in!

ALWAYS replace all of them. It will cost far less in the long run when you consider just how much work is involved in getting at them.

3.0ltr V6

Well ive had 2 go now in the year ive had the car. Might talk to renault and see if they will replace the others under warranty.

V6 Clio

Quote: Originally posted by hmhmhm on 10 August 2005

TWR 1 - could you let me know exactly what you have available.

Thanks

Hm

As Mike says.......... 6 working coils, 6 news plugs (boxed)

I presume you mean the original parts fitted to the MK1.

How much do you want for the lot.

Have you got word of any wheels (track or road) going for sale for the Mk1

......AND I need to find the ultimate oil... money no object!!!!!!

Lots to think about.

Thanks

HM

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

How do I know for sure if my coils are gone? Will I feel a great power loss? How obvious is the power loss?

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Depends which coil has gone, also if its just one or more.

I had one failed coil, and one on the way out, but it still felt good, and pulled ok. I didnt know I had a problem until they were replaced, then I knew the difference!

Others have had one go, and suddenly their car performs & sounds like a tractor, others have reported complete breakdown as a result!

On mine it was only apparent by removing the spark plugs, to check for signs of unburnt fuel.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

What do you mean sounds like a tractor? I think my car sounds like a tractor at times. But I dont think it performs like a tractor. In what case would it be a complete breakdown? What do I look for when i remove spark plugs?

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

Quote: Originally posted by Mike T on 08 August 2005

Lets face it they are crap Bosch items which fall apart in your hands if you pull both ends!!!!

Get the race ones from R Sport - £50 each - change the plugs which connect the wires and never have the problem again.

Then get rid of the crappy four tip plugs which Renault use to lengthen service life and stick some NGKs in.

Itll even start and drive better from cold.

Mike
Is there a website for R sports? I would want to get a set of coils & plugs. So NGK Laser platinums and R sport coils? Where can I find the NGks?

At an NGK distributor!?! They order them in.

R-Sport in Wimbledon - no web site 02085420042 ask for John

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Quote: Originally posted by klio on 11 August 2005

What do you mean sounds like a tractor? I think my car sounds like a tractor at times. But I dont think it performs like a tractor. In what case would it be a complete breakdown? What do I look for when i remove spark plugs?
The V6 unit should sound smooth (loud too, but mainly smooth). If its sounding noisy like a diesel, then it could be failed plugs or coils (or both).

Breakdown - i.e. engine cuts out, wont start, wont go etc.

As for what to look for when examining a used plug, Im no mechanic so Ill leave that one to the boys in the know. What I do know is that Alex reckoned 2 of my plugs were black (one very so) indicating failed/failing coils.

I have had one go so far so needless to say after reading this awaiting the next!

Are they a DIY job to change? Also what about lugs are these easy to get at and change?

May aswell just uprate all at once before winter sets in as for all I know some could be one the way out now?

V6 Clio

Quote: Originally posted by wrx-172 on 11 August 2005

I have had one go so far so needless to say after reading this awaiting the next!

Are they a DIY job to change? Also what about lugs are these easy to get at and change?

May aswell just uprate all at once before winter sets in as for all I know some could be one the way out now?

You need all the covers off. Front 3 (nearest back of car!?) are easy. Unclip coil, remove 8mm bolt, coil pops out. remove plug with socket on extension.

The other three are the buggers as they are under the plastic rib-like plenum. You need to pop off the plastic cover and unbolt the plenum enough to raise it up and get underneath to the coils. Not too difficult really.