ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coil pack question

Right, think i need to change the coil pack on my 172, symptoms are rough idle, loss of power, engine struggling on inclines, stalling for no reason.

Would the coil pack be the first thing to change?

I phoned the garage I usually used and they told me £74 plus VAT plus labour, looked in to it a bit more and turns out I can get the coil pack for £30 off ebay from renparts.

Is it as simple to change as it looks? I.e two bolts off and about 3 electrical connections to disconnect/reconnect? Does the battery need to be reconnected? Do the leads have to be changed or is it ok to use the ones i have?

Cheers!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
easy to change!!

its 4 10mm bolts, 1 plug, 4 HT leads.

i wouldnt pay a garage to do it!

Trafic 140dci
I've got one £20 posted if you want it?

Also while your at it i have a set of working Renault HT leads ill include for another £10 which is worth a try with those problems!

Cheers folks, thought it was that easy!

I'll pm you later/in the morning lewis just need to go out.

Is it safe to drive, as is until i fit the parts? Are he leads just as easy to change? I know they just pull off at the coil pack end but not looked at the other end! Sorry I'm a mechanical r****d!

Cheers!

Trafic 140dci

Is it safe to drive, as is until i fit the parts? Are he leads just as easy to change? I know they just pull off at the coil pack end but not looked at the other end! Sorry I'm a mechanical r****d!

Cheers!
No worries, I think the leads are something like £50 from Renault! Yeah just pull off the other end, just make sure you get the order right! 1 at a time is the best method! You'll need to take the inlet manifold off to get the leads though, easy enough job.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport

Cheers!

Just pulls off. I would be cautious of driving untill it's fixed, a misfiring engine can damage the catalytic convertor (amongst other things). Depends on how bad it's is!

330i. E30 Touring.
I've also got several coil packs and sets if leads for sale if you don't buy Lewis'

f***s sake! really need to get places in next couple of days to and no access to other cars! What a ball ache!

Also disconnect the battery or leave it?

Cheers!