ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover adjustment

Williams 2
I lowered the rear of my car today, and then tried to adjust my coilovers to lower the front to the same height as the rear, but i'm really struggling to wind the coilovers up anymore that they are now....I thought I adjusted them about 20mm but the front did'nt look any lower. Should I disconnect the struts before I wind the coilovers up...or can I leave them attatched cos at the moment I can't wind them up anymore
icon_sad.gif

DSCF0610.jpg

Williams 2
Definately not ran out of thread, cos ur suppost to be able to lower them 85mm. Is it easier taking disconnecting the hub from the strut then?:S

MattyH16v said:
Definately not ran out of thread, cos ur suppost to be able to lower them 85mm. Is it easier taking disconnecting the hub from the strut then?:S
Why can you not turn the nut thing then that the spring site on ? If the've been on a bit the threads can get dirty so you do need to clean them before you can lower and higher.

Williams 2
edde said:
Why can you not turn the nut thing then that the spring site on ? If the've been on a bit the threads can get dirty so you do need to clean them before you can lower and higher.
No I cannot physically turn it anymore as it has become too hard....might need to give them a clean, but they've only been on a few weeks, so are like new.

R35 GTR
MattyH16v said:
hmmm...thought you had to wind them up and compress the spring in order to make the car sit lower?

well i wound them up 15mm on front and the rubbing stopped. I am sure you wind down to lower, but I only just managed to fit them myself, and I am no expert.lol.

2005 Nissan Navara
lol see williamsclio..

u want to lower the platform to lower ride height.

also, if ur corner-weighting, u need to disconnect ARB.

Williams 2
stan* said:
lol see williamsclio..

u want to lower the platform to lower ride height.

also, if ur corner-weighting, u need to disconnect ARB.
Cheers m8...how easy is it to do the corner weighting?

2005 Nissan Navara
if u know what ur doing, and have the equipment, its ok.

easier on the likes of Nobles, ariel Atoms, Caterhams (proper cars basically!) as the weight distribution is nearer even.

Williams 2
I've pretty much got the camber sorted now anyway....borrowed a very handy protractor tool from work which measure angles. Still need to get the wheels alligned though as this may affect the camber again. From measuring the wheels I have around -1 degree of camber...so it's not too bad at the mo. Is it still worth going to somewhere like Northhampton Motorsports though to get them set up accuratley?Matt:D
DSCF0611.jpg

2005 Nissan Navara
the thing is with a generic "set-up" like everyone keeps suggesting, is what are they setting it to?? nothing more than arbitary figures, that may not suit you/your driving style. obviosuly it depends how involved you want to get, but the only real option for a decent set-up is on-track testing.

personally i wouldnt pay £200 or whatever for a "set-up" which is at the end of the day, non-specific.

Williams 2
I have a major problem with my coilovers now....I've tried to wind them back down again but both have cross threaded!!! :( I really did'nt expect this to happen so now it looks like there fucked and i'll have to take them off again! Here the pic -
DSCF0612.jpg

R35 GTR
Take them off first before winding any more as this will take pressure of the thread and more than likely stop any more damage. you shouldnt need the thread this high up so you may be ok still.

2005 Nissan Navara
its more likely that the soft ally platforms are damaged, rather than the body of the damper...
you should be able to get replacements.

R35 GTR
MattyH16v said:
Ok...cheers for help lads....I don't know how I get myself in these situations!:eek:

dont worry mate, I found 3 wheel nuts completely undone on my front passenger wheel the other day......ooooops.:S