ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover swap: AST's->KTEC's

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Currently I have AST coilovers on my car, although I find the ride a little to firm for what I want as I use the car daily when on the beach for a 90 mile a day round trip on the pot hole ridden scottish roads.

I have been looking at the ktec coilovers as a replacement as from what I have read they are good value for money and aren't a crashy coilover, as I don't need the car to be a rock solid track hero. As when hiking on it feels like it doesn't absorb the bumps very well and even in town there are some roads that really rattle the car at like 10-15mph and this is on the softest dampening setting of the ast's.
Although I do like the look of the car, so would be roughly the same height although maybe 5/10mm higher all round to give it bit more clearance just incase.
As it stands now:
DSCF0499.gif

I know the ast's value is quite alot more to buy new than the ktec ones, but in peoples opinions, would this be a wise move to make? I would be most likely to get the ktr solid top mounts at the same time, although that isn't really much to do with the question.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'd definitley swap with you, shame you dont have a 182 :(

Personally i'd keep the AST's, but the ktecs are pretty much like cup suspension for ride quality imo.

before spending money I'd try a couple of things. Have you tried lifting it 20mm? You might be spending time in the bump rubbers. Also, what springs rates do you run? Rough roads need suspension travel.

Do you know what springs you're running? My ASTs are firm, but I wouldnt say they are crashy etc.

Going from ASTs to KTECs is a hell of a downgrade, just depends on what you want the car for I guess.

KWs or nothing ;)

the ast's are meant to be a right handful unfortunately. i wasnt a fan when brown bear had them on his :(

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I imagine if the OP puts up a sale thread looking for a swap with H&R's or KW's, he'd have no problem shifting them.

ITB'd MK1
I think your problem is the fact you have them on softest setting, you'll be under damping for the springs. turn the damping up and it will be less crashy. All you're doing by under damping is causing a big mis-match

I don't think the majority of people understand suspension sufficiently to make an informed decision (myself included), what is seen is a unit that has a coilover rear unit, looks good and is expensive therefor must be good.

I think your problem is the fact you have them on softest setting, you'll be under damping for the springs. turn the damping up and it will be less crashy. All you're doing by under damping is causing a big mis-match

As I understand it it's your springs that dictate the harshness of your ride, your dampers control your spring. What you need is a softer spring with dampers to suit.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
keep the AST's and have them how you want them. Don't swap for coilovers that are a third of the value!

M2 Competition
But... if he doesnt do trackdays etc, he doesnt really need them. I can see why he'd want to swap for something comfier that retains the looks.

Put up a part-ex thread and see who'll exchange with you, earn a bit of coin that way too.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
But... if he doesnt do trackdays etc, he doesnt really need them. I can see why he'd want to swap for something comfier that retains the looks.

Put up a part-ex thread and see who'll exchange with you, earn a bit of coin that way too.

Exactly! Having them built to his spec won't exactly be cheap, he'd probably pocket £4-500 from a swap for ktec's. And if he's not going on track, is there any point in pricey suspension?
Unless being low is a priority, I'd go back to standard!

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
Danny is correct, they where on the car when I bought it. So that is why I have them . . .

I wouldn't be looking to swap, would buy new coilovers and then sell the ast's although I can understand I could have worded it alot better, but I'm on nights here so the brain isn't so sharp :(

Spring rate, I have no idea of what they are. I did have it on the harder dampening setting, but again around my area it's a bit to firm. I reduced it to hopefulyl make it better, although I am no suspension expert at all.

Rebuilding the ast's to a more road friendly spec isn't a good option to me though cost/benefit although I am guessing it wouldn't be the cheapest of exercises.

Keep the opinions coming though, it's good to get the more knowledgable folks views. And I appreciate folk taking the time to reply already :)

Will have a look kw's but from what I've seen for my purpose I think they are a bit more expensive for what I will be using the car for. Like I said a bit firmer than standard would be fine, and the reviews so far have said that of the ktecs, and lets me keep the height roughly like it is and new aren't expensive. I could easily have kw's but I don't feel like the extra cost would be justified for what I would be using hte car for. (I am guessing as I don't know the kw's price new off hand, but I'm sure they are a good bit more)

Mk2 172
As said many times above, get them rebuilt with NEW softer settings and softer spring rates and it will be completely different!
Using heavier spring rates and with the dampers on the softest setting is not the way they shud be set.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Very true, if your not gonna use the car on track on a regular basis and play around with settings etc then dont buy them.
It wont cost 500 to have them rebuilt

Sorry fella, I didn't mean they'd cost £500 to rebuild, just that if he sells the ast's and buys ktec, he'd probably be about £500 better off than having the ast's rebuilt.

Mk2 172
Sorry fella, I didn't mean they'd cost £500 to rebuild, just that if he sells the ast's and buys ktec, he'd probably be about £500 better off than having the ast's rebuilt.

Ah i see, yeh he prob will be cos he can sell them for decent money.