ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers - setting up

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So I've got myself some AP's now. Top mounts arrived, and I've been putting them together. Now, stupid question time. How far down should the top mount nut go? I've tightened both sides up so there is about 5-6mm of thread showing out the top. Does it need tightening down all the way down the thread, or is it ok like this?

8660209121_17bb04d747.jpg

Untitled by johnpape83, on Flickr

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah get em on n get some pics up!!! N leave rear adjusters in the box waste of time makin coilys that dont have deacent drop!

LOL! I'll be going lower dude, but not that low. I still have a steep driveway to navigate, and the roads round here are a mess.
Plus I'm pretty sure slamming the shocks will shorten their life dramatically.

BTW, another stupid question: When people say I've got a 60mm drop, etc. How do they know? How do you work that out?

LOL! I'll be going lower dude, but not that low. I still have a steep driveway to navigate, and the roads round here are a mess.
Plus I'm pretty sure slamming the shocks will shorten their life dramatically.

BTW, another stupid question: When people say I've got a 60mm drop, etc. How do they know? How do you work that out?

From what I'm told you need to know the standard height of the car (from the centre of the wheel/hub to the top centre of the arch) then knock 60mm off that height.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Or if you have coilovers that lower your car by 60mm and you have them as low as possible, that will be 60mm.

And if you have them set half way you could measure how much more to go, for example, if they are half way, you could measure down your threads and there should be 30mm left to go, meaning you'd have a 30mm drop.

Maybe.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Ok, that makes sense! Will measure up the threads and see that drop I get. I think as standard these coilovers are 30-90mm on the front, and 25-75 on the rear.