ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers??

182cup/D40/Hornet
Front suspension goosed on my 182 cup, now looking at changing to coilovers.
Been looking and obviously the cup model is more limited but which ones do recommend??
Been looking at usual suspects:

H&R's
AST
SPAX

Any others that are worth a look??

182cup/D40/Hornet
I hear a lot of good reports about h&r and ast but the spax rsx's look like a canny kit?
Last time I had a set of spax they were considered 'ok' but the quality wasn't good

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Just fitted AST's to mine.
Cant give any feedback on them yet as the car is still sat in the garage waiting to go for its geo setup.

Fitted them along with the pure motorsport top mounts as brace, and the whiteline rear ARB.
Im going to be pretty disappointed if it doesn't handle well :)

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Got cupped H&R on my 182, cracking bit of kit, everyones said it before, but they are really good. Most comfy coilovers ive had/ driven, im old now and cant be doing with crashy suspension. There comfy not because there rubbish, just there perfectly set for the car. I would say most of the coilovers fitted to cars (not just clios) are poorly setup , overly hard for the road and just plain s**t. Although they are not adjustable, other than for height, they are MORE than enough for the road. Coupled with a rear ARB its amazing.

Obviously AST are amazing, always have been, but there more for track cars than anything else. I had them on an elise and were mind bogling but nearly a liability on the road.
I also have used SPAX which were good but not aswell setup as the H&R. Do it, you wont be disapointed!

Chris
DetailMe

Audi A5
Is your clio stripped out? I've heard the H&R'S can be quite soft on track if the clio's been on a diet.

182cup/D40/Hornet
No the car is as is, not stripped out.
Use it for the daily commute, 1-2 track days and the yearly pilgrimage to Germany so idealy need it not too crashy en route to work but need it to be able to handle a bit track work.
Have just fitted new rear dampers before my most recent trip, thought the front didn't feel right and a couple of km's in relised they were goosed.
No oil leakage, just tired I think.
I think possibly the H&R's are the route as I'd probably not fiddle with the set up once fitted and right??
I presume the H&R's would be stiffer than oem though?

Audi A5
Yes h&r are stiffer than standard.

I guess it comes down to do you like playing with your set up or not?

If you do get spax if not get H&R's imo.

182cup/D40/Hornet
Probably won't be fiddling once fitted so swaying towards the H&R's with a ARB,can you get the H&R's refurbished/rebuilt when they need it?
Still not feeling the love for the SPAX even though on paper they look like a good deal

Audi A5
just so you know the H&R's are the same as bilsteins internally and yes both can be rebuilt. i personally would still go for the spax as their...

around the same price

have good reviews since danny has helped redesign them

can be adjustered if you feel's you need them a bit stiffer/sofer. or if you dont want to just leave them on the standard setting.

theirs quite alot of story's floating about that bilsteins are having knocking issues.

so all in all i dont really see the benifits of getting H&R's over spax.

182cup/D40/Hornet
Got them sitting in the house, hopefully will get them fitted at weekend.
Yeah went for the 'track kit' with outboard rears

182cup/D40/Hornet
Through spax direct, well from their site, motorsport tuning I think it was actually through

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ive got the Spax road kit that i bought from Danny, havent fitted it yet as ive only just got my suspension back from the powder coaters.
Should have it back together on saturday and can not wait to drive my car again.