ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold start and engine cut off issues

Clio 2 1.9 1999 RXE
Hi All, hope i'm not breaking any rules posting about a car which isn't a 172 or Clio sport. I believe there are similarities with mine which is why i'm looking for advice here.

My issue is with a Clio 1.9d RXE 1999.

Basically, the main characteristics are :

- Takes 5 to 10 seconds to start from cold
- Often get a lot of white smoke following a cold start
- Sometimes get a quick acceleration before returning to idle (could be pedal/cables/levers I suppose)
- Almost every time the engine won't cut out when key is on off.
- No warnings on dash, bar an old airbag warning.
- I have a Lucas pump (and wish i didn't)

Being half french (not my fault) I have spent a fair amount of time on french forums but no joy so far. My mech knowledge is fair but not great with injection engines at all. I have tested and tried the following over the last 3 weeks :

- Replaced glow plugs
- tested glow plug / preheat unit (name?) it gives me 10.6volts, don't know if that's normal.
- Tried disconnecting EGR vanne sensor, no change at all.
- Battery tested and alternator too, both in good nick.
- Replaced oil, fuel filter (no metal shards from pump seen), oil filter.
- Tried earthing the water temperature sensor, no change.
- Have driven for two weeks and no change / evolution bar the warnings on dash - the airbag one - has vanished, go figure.

I'm starting to think it's the electrovanne / solenoid valve on the Lucas pump, explaining the bad engine cut off? But the cold start too ? If yes, I haven't found any ways to test or certify this ...

Some pics on this page : http://forum.321auto.com/forum/image/forum/163370.jpg

Thanks in advance for any ideas / help!