ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold starting problems

Clio 172 Ph1
I have some problem when starting my engine (usually on cold starts, when i left it overnight or so). When i turn key and fire the engine, it starts but revs drop very low for first second, like car strugles and then manage to raise the revs and then it runs fine. And sometimes it just don't manage to raise the revs so after 1 second it turn off. When i start it second time, it starts ok.

When car is warm, it stars fine for first time.

I have that problem for 2 months. And yesterday my emmission ligth cam on but i don't know if that is related to this problem or something new.

So what you think is the problem that car struggles with revs when starting on cold??

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
its normal mate, just wait for the car to idle crazy and rev itself then you can be on its way. happens to all of us

Ph1 172
I have a similar problem with mine, on cold start sometimes it idles very low, sometimes I have to give it some revs as soon as I start it only for a few seconds so it doesnt stall.
I've been a little concerned about the low idle in general, and took it into Renault where they put it on the diagnostic for me - all clear so seems there is no problem.
The car idles low when warm as well, around 700 (just not as low as from cold start) but Im hoping this is due to the performance cams and will even out a little when I get it mapped.
:)

Clio 172 Ph1
My idle is 500-600rpm.
I am not worried about lumpy idle, i know it happens to most of us with 172, but i am worried about why my car don't start from first on cold start...it starts but turn off then. Or struggles for first second not to turn off (revs drop almost to 0!). Where to look for problem?
Is possible that TDC is causing this behavior?

Clio 172 Ph1
Problem solved (for now).
I cleaned TDC, checked the plugs and leads and little cleaned them too, re-connected all the sensors and spray connections with wd40, and cleaned the earth.

Car fired up on first try and emmission light went off.