ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour Code Wing Mirror Chip

BMW 320ci
What would be the easiest way to repair this chip? Its broke through the lacquer, paint and primer. I don't really want to have to sand it all down and colour code it again.

Thanks in advance.

Photo082.gif
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt42/DMH-01/Photo082.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Recently did the exact thing on my friends fietsa bumper after someone hit the bit we'd painted with a shopping trolley....

Sand it back so its smooth, something like 800, 1200 should do, the mask up a small square around the area, give it quite a few layers of high build primer every 20 mins or so, so it basically fills the dent, remove all tape and leave to harden for a day or so.

Now sand this back until you start to see the paint around the dent again, and it becomes nice and flat around the edges (so you can no longer feel the square outline from masking with you eyes closed)

Now your dent should basically be full of primer, level with your current paint job, after this, sand lightly around the area you've primiered, i.e a bit further out onto the good paint.... to key it with a 1500 or somehting.

Now get your paint and spray from quite a distance at angles so that you cover your chip but overspray onto your now keyed paint work, repeat until its invisible, leave to harden and the laquer in the same manor.

Sorry for the essay

For it to look right it'll need to be completely re-done, you'll get away with only colouring the area you've repaired but you'll need to re-lacquer the whole thing. Only painting a little bit will look pish and touching it in will also look pish.

BMW 320ci
Cheers Robbos just what I needed thanks alot :).

I'll give it ago if it dont work I'll have to do it all again.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm pretty sure i read you painted them recently, so the colour should match in nice and easy, if you want a particularly even finish then yeah laquer the whole thing once done. BTW check your PM's when you get a chance.