ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

colour coding quote

Seat Leon FR

just had a quote for codind my side bump strips, the front and back bump strips and the door handles for £180 without smoothing or £300 with smoothing.

first of all is this a reasonable price or should i get a few more quotes? also do you think i would be better getting it done with or without smoothing. bearing in mind id be saving 120 quid and it would be in the garage for half the time. do you think that the rough effect will show through? Another option is do what my mate is telling me to do and do it myself (id buy the parts new so i dont b****cks up the original ones if it goes wrong).

anyone know of any good bodyshops around sheffield or chesterfield who might be cheaper than this?

all comments welcome

My mate has a mini, got a quote to paint some arches hed brought for i, bloke said £80 for the four of them, dunno if that is insanley chep or not

You can smooth them, 180 grit sand paper to remove dimples, and then 240, and then 400 grit grey ali/oxide paper to finish. No point it getting glassy smooth as they will haver to rough the surface anyway

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

I got my side strips front and rear bumper, handles and rear spoiler colour coded, i was gonna pay £300 but got it for £250 So id say thats a good price...

clio rxe

i did my wing mirrors myself, really easy, use white spirt to clean , smoth it a bit with a wet and dry sandpaper, a few light coats of primer, a few couts of paint then a few coats of laquer. Really good job cost about £20 all in for paint and sanpaper. alright might not be as glass smooth as in a body shop but very effective a a fraction of the price

Seat Leon FR

does the paint come off easy? ie if i was to scratch it with my fingernail? i have tried spraying on a scrap bit of plastic and it scratches off easy. not too sure ifg the primer is for plastics. what make of primer should i use?

clio rxe

the paint doest come off if you do the job right, rub the mirrors down with fine sand paper then prime it a few rtimes, i used halfords plastic primer, honest its good, willtry and find instructions i used to do it for you

I have done my sidestrips on my dynamique myself, and although I may do one of them again, I dont think they have turned out to bad for me doing it, with the amount of dirt on there you can hardly tell that I did them infact :D

doing them yourself with spray cans they will fade fatser than the rest of the car as the rest of the car is painted with 2 pack

Seat Leon FR

whats 2 pack? other than the rapper;)

i had a go at spraying tonight. i only primed it as i cant get my colour paint til tomorrow!!

MOT is tomorrow as well!! wish me luck!! :D

clio rxe

yes, but its hard to get it truely smooth so you will prob end up with slight bobbling unless you want to take the time to smooth it right down

clio rxe

Quote: Originally posted by Chris24747 on 05 May 2004

whats 2 pack? other than the rapper;)

i had a go at spraying tonight. i only primed it as i cant get my colour paint til tomorrow!!

MOT is tomorrow as well!! wish me luck!! :D
well how did the spray go? best to leave it for a few dyas before you put the strips back on, allow the laquer to set

Seat Leon FR

went ok, did it after i got back from uni. then was at work tonight so i havent totally finished the colour spray yet. mite see if i get time tomorrow. looks good so far though!!! if it looks any good ill post a pic up, if it looks crap ill not bother!! :oops:

Right, havent read the guide. but pinned, at the top of this section i think there is a guide to colour coding.

If its bumpy, i sanded it down wiht some 80grip sand paper to get rid of the bumps, and then 400 grit grey ali/oxide. Then went over it with 600 grit wet and dry paper. Run it under the tap and make sure its clean, then give it a VERY through cleaning wiht meths.

I sprayed on three coats of primer, and then snaded it down with wet 1200 grit wet and dry, and cus i wasnt completely happy, resprayed it with primer again, another 3 coats, and sanded it with wet 1200 grit wet and dry, to get it completely smooth.

I found when putting paint on it helps to put it on nice and thick, but not so thick that it runs, you get alot smoother finish here. Sand wiht wet 1200 grit wet and dry to get smooth.

Spary a couple of thick coats of laqure on, if you warm the can of laqure in hot water first it goes on alot better. Sand wiht wet 1200 grit wet and dry paper lightly to give a nice smooth finish.

T-cut for a perfect smooth finish, and finsih by giving it a good polish, polish it several times over.

Im in the process of spraying up a set of mirrors, but you can only do it when the weather is awarm, or the paint goes on all sh*t

clio rxe

the covers for the mirrors comes off easily, thats what i did with mine, therfore you can just do them in the home