ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour Coding spoiler

so this is my spoiler at the moment..

IMAG0128.jpg

Im looking to colour code it but i dont know the best way about doing it... do i sand then plastic primer like the same as the badges i did or wha?

please help me out :)

can you get me a link for a good hi-build primer mate? :)

how many coats of each thing would you recommend?

best to ask someone else on good hi-build primers fella, i've only used car-plan hi-build grey primer so far but i think it does the job extremely well...

any way:

1 coat of plastic primer,

1-2 coats of hi-build (sanding in between, this depends on how smooth the texture is tbh mate, if its really smooth after one coat and a fine sanding with wet and dry stick to one, if not give it a second coat and sand again,

2-3 coats of colour based on how even and well you cover it, best to do it in thin layers so you dont get runs (dont worry if you can still see primer after the first coat of colour, the second coat should cover it all. with the third coat being for any parts you might have missed or to blend all the colour together so there is no discrepancy on the spray direction ie up-down and left-right)

and finally at least 3-4 coats of lacquer as it is an external part and will be more prone to fading, and chips etc

just make sure you leave a while for drying time between coats and either leave for 24 hours or a few hours in a heated room to harden the paint completely before fitting the spoiler,

p.s if you think something has gone wrong at any point in the process like runs or paint reacting (not enough drying time or contaminant), it is easier and cheaper to sort straight away than if you carry on to completion... sort this by allowing it to dry then flatting back and repeating the priming steps (all the way back if severe, hi-build if something like a run)

hope this helps mate :D

clio
just get it done professionally, will only cost £40-50, you could easily spend £30-40 just on sand paper and the primers/paint/lacquer and it could still turn out looking crap

just get it done professionally, will only cost £40-50, you could easily spend £30-40 just on sand paper and the primers/paint/lacquer and it could still turn out looking crap

true but he could have enough materials left over to colour code other bits like the bumper trim for example... (depending how much he buys)

either way get it done :L