ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

companies that allow mods ? or dont..

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ok basically i just bought a phase 1 172, looking at insurance. elephant are the cheapest, but what are they like for declaring mods ? i dont want to take out insurance to find i cant mod the car.

so yeah, does anyone know what elephant, bell or admiral are like ?

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
I'm with elephant, added my exhaust 1/4 way into my policy, phoned up, added to policy and a £40 fee, seemed fairly easy, might be different with loads of mods though,

MK3 GTI golf 16v
aslong as they take mods thats a start i suppose. i was with quinn and they charged me £70 to add coilovers, alloys and exhaust.

would i have to declare it if it had a phase 2 rear bumper and lights and that?

Elephant are good for mods.

Charged me £30 to declare a stage 1 remap, big brake kit and lowering springs on a Leon FR when I was 19.

Policy was only around £800 to begin with too.

Just be prepared with the main stream companies to speak to someone who has no idea what the difference is between a manifold and a cat back or how 40mm springs might be different to 1k's worth of coilovers. Oh, and often they won't replace like for like!

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i understand what you mean wick but i just need to insure it, if i dont get half of it back if i crashed then well thats my problem but i need to insure it, i have bought it with a fair amount already done to it

my first car, i was basiclly charged nothing as i said above. on the compare sites i just put in the usual details + alloys and exhaust and it went up £800 ! wtf.

think i should insure it saying its standard then phone up ?

Get a quote standard, then go forward to the elephant/admiral/bell website and open the quote and tick the mods.

Don't say its lowered more than 50mm lol.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Yes i've heard it's cheaper to insure standard then declare than insure modified straight away for some reason.

I found Admiral wanted more for a standard car than Brentacre for mods and like for like replacement..

MK3 GTI golf 16v
when i phoned up about my other car and said i had coilovers they said is it higher or lower than 50mm. i said whats the price difference, shes said ones £50 more ones £100 and something. i said ill take the £50 option haha.

ok well ill insure it standard then ring up and declare the bits and bobs. just double checking they will accept mods.
it has a phase 2 bumper and rear lights, and cup spoiler. would i need to declare them ? and how would i declare them :S as in what would i say they are

Admiral wanted 62 for my springs and exhaust, but knocked 17 off for me just asking to remove the admin fee I knew they'd added. Outrageous that they charge that for what took 5 mins on the phone!

I think next year I'll be looking at brentacre etc... if the premiums are competitive.

oh, and I guess the above come under something like "exterior bodywork modifications" although they won't care that it isn't some whacking great big bonnet vent or bolt on body kit lol!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'm with Brentacre and they said to me I can do whatever I like to the car,
as long as I declare it wont cost a penny more, as long as I don't exceed 180bhp.

I've found insuring a modified car is cheaper than a standard one, Direct Line, Churchill, etc wanted piss take money,
where as the modified insurers have all been at least £100 less sometimes more.

I think it depends on your age, seeing as i'm 36 with 8years ncb, they obviously don't count me as a high risk.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
yeah i guess it would, would need to talk on the phone to explain the fact its not a huge body kit haha

what are brentacre like for younger drivers ? a fair amount of insurance companies wont touch me as im 18. adrian flux wouldnt

With admiral they wouldn't insure me with lowering over 35mm, so my car was only lowered 35mm on coilovers ;)

Admiral are decent, I had modifications cover as well. Mods were exhaust, wheels, air filter, coilovers and headlights. Bumped my quote up £150 for a full year. Bargain.

yeah i guess it would, would need to talk on the phone to explain the fact its not a huge body kit haha

what are brentacre like for younger drivers ? a fair amount of insurance companies wont touch me as im 18. adrian flux wouldnt

Flux quoted me 3.4k for a 172 cup I paid 1k for. Admiral was £700

MK3 GTI golf 16v
could live with an extra £150 quite happily. tip of the iceburg with my insurance. just need to make sure the most of its covered (coils, alloys, exhaust) for crash purposes and just in case i get a copper in a bad mood who digs a bit deep

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member

That's the problem i'm afraid, I don't think Brentacre like people that are under 25.

18-25 are the most dangerous years for young drivers, insurance commpanies don't like you because you all crash.;)

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i know its stupid :( had a bike at 16. passed full bike test the week i turned 17, car test 6 months later. im insured on the works vans. but oh...i clearly crash so my insurance is horrendous. :(

ill give brentacre a try tomorrow, if not ill go with elephant then phone up afterwards. problem is, if they wack the price right up i have to pay it, i bought the car like that and have nothing to put it back to standard (also dont want to).

Brentacre told me I had to be 18 iirc. (might have been 19).

Bro, go on comparethemarket.com, get a quote, click buy now on the elephant/admiral/bell think, modify the quote on the insurers OWN site and tick the boxes for the mods.