ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 PH1 owner

Clio 172 Ph1
Hey guys! I am the (extremely happy) new owner of a phase 1 Clio 172. I came from a 50k mile 2003 boxster S in completely mint condition - I was worried the 172 wouldn't live up to it and my god was I wrong! I couldn't stop saying holy sh*t on the way home because of how impressed I was with the handling 😂 that's really saying something coming from a mid engined sports car.

It was advertised for 3999, and I got it for 3600 due to a cracked windscreen and what seems to be a leaking OS CV boot!

It's got 84k miles and a seriously thick service history folder! From the history it seems to have bilstein b14 coilovers installed, as well as powerflex camber bolts.

There's a bit of play in the shifter when shifting and the engine jumps around a bit on cranking, so I'm going to get those polybushed I think. Gearbox might need a refurb too, 2nd gear whines a bit.

Anyone got an estimate for how much a CV boot costs on one of these? And a new windscreen? And gearbox refurb?

I'm obsessed with the way it looks, a couple of dings here and there, and unfortunately looks like an elephant has sat on the roof, so I'll need to get that sorted if anyone knows someone who's good with bodywork!

Also do spacers mess up the geo on these? Considering some subtle ones to fill out the arches, but I care more about handling performance than looks, so won't do it if it messes up the handling.

Attachments

• PXL_20220820_160831792.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220820_160831792.MP.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20220820_160824550.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220820_160824550.MP.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20220820_155536703.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220820_155536703.MP.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20220820_160837750.jpg
    PXL_20220820_160837750.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20220820_155523909.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220820_155523909.MP.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20220820_155453418.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220820_155453418.MP.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20220820_195658739.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220820_195658739.MP.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Welcome

I'd recommend standard engine mounts, febi do pattern ones that are perfect and you don't end up with a road car that rattles your teeth out.

Spacers are no issue, I've run 15mm front and 10mm rear for years including on track (incidentally on said track day my mate in a 2001 boxster s couldn't keep up and kept spinning out which tells a story)

Gearbox and any other mechanical worries, depending where you are, speak to @MicKPM , he's looked after my phase 1 for years and knows a thing or five about them.

And tip of the hat for picking the best option in terms of MK2 Clios

Clio 172 Ph1
Welcome

I'd recommend standard engine mounts, febi do pattern ones that are perfect and you don't end up with a road car that rattles your teeth out.

Spacers are no issue, I've run 15mm front and 10mm rear for years including on track (incidentally on said track day my mate in a 2001 boxster s couldn't keep up and kept spinning out which tells a story)

Gearbox and any other mechanical worries, depending where you are, speak to @MicKPM , he's looked after my phase 1 for years and knows a thing or five about them.

And tip of the hat for picking the best option in terms of MK2 Clios

Thank you for all the info!

I'll get some febi bushes - is it not worth doing the gearbox one with powerflex for a crisper shift? I will be tracking this car, and I'll be heading to the nurburgring for the 2023 season in it.

To be honest it sounds like your mate needs some instruction or a geo setup 😂 mine was fantastic on track, just couldn't afford to run the car in the end, cost me a fortune in parts, still loved it though.

Thanks again - whereabouts is he based? I've just realised the leak is N/S (passenger) shaft. The shaft is absolutely caked in it, I thought it was grease but could absolutely be gearbox oil. I'm actually wondering if the gearbox is whining because of a lack of oil after pissing it out all over its own driveshaft. Hard to see as I don't have access to my jack and tools currently. At least I got £400 off the asking price.

Cheers to that! Phase 1 is the best looking, mine is in iceberg silver, so a nice homage to the V6. love the throttle response with the cable throttle too. Heel and toe is a dream!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Mick is Long Eaton near Nottingham chap.

I didn't bother with powerflex anything as didn't want the vibrations as the car is a road car, new standard keeps the shift smooth enough in all honesty.

And nah, boxsters are just slow and people underestimate how capable a 1 ton Clio can be 😉

Clio 172 Ph1
No, for real, spinning out = terrible driver or bad geo. We'll agree to disagree on the box.

Cheers, I'm moving to Nottingham this month for a new job so that's handy!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks again - whereabouts is he based? I've just realised the leak is N/S (passenger) shaft. The shaft is absolutely caked in it, I thought it was grease but could absolutely be gearbox oil. I'm actually wondering if the gearbox is whining because of a lack of oil after pissing it out all over its own driveshaft.
Could be gear box oil as the N/S drive shaft is in the open end of the gear box so removing it and the gear box oil pours out. Have heard this can happen when jacking the car up too.

As for engine mounts, I had a Vibratechnics solid mount in my old Ph1. It was ok, but the rest of the car was a bit harsh with the suspension set up and lack of interior. My current Ph1 I have put in a Powerflex Black Series engine mount insert and that has helped without making it too harsh (although both of my Ph1's are running solid top mounts which I know does not help with ride quality!). Another bush to do is to polybush the dog bong mount or get an Evol Engineering one. I had this on my old Ph1 (don't remember paying £70 for it!) and that helped with gear change too.

Clio 172 Ph1
@KitsonRis
Thank you! Really helpful info, after another short drive today taking it up the revs, I can definitely smell oil a bit when the engine/gearbox is hot. There are no leaks on the engine itself whatsoever, just whatever is happening by that NS shaft. I guess I will in fact be paying for a gearbox rebuild probably.

I'll get the powerflex mounts done at the same time, as well as dog bone. Maybe some hotter cams too, I'll keep the standard intake and get a BMC filter. Think I'll leave the exhaust standard for now.

@Zoflora
Thank you!

Yes it's an iceberg silver! It has a few dings here and there, I'm very keen to get it into a good body shop to get it looking mint, along with a new original windscreen and seals. As well as refurbed alloys and a coat of underseal/wax. Not a single spot of rust on this one.

Do either of you know how to reduce the assistance from the power steering? I'd like it a bit heavier with more road feel if possible.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
No, for real, spinning out = terrible driver or bad geo. We'll agree to disagree on the box.

Cheers, I'm moving to Nottingham this month for a new job so that's handy!

It was more the huge downpour of rain I reckon, lol

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Hello, nice car and that’s a lot of history, might be nice scanning it all In to your pc and having a digital history