ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Complete novice, new flickr!

Clio 172
Hi all,
I've always enjoyed taking photos, but have never taken it up as a hobby or invested in expensive cameras etc. I just enjoy taking good pictures with a normal camera. I'm looking to invest in a better one however, but not sure if it would be worth the money.

I've set up a new flickr account as I'd like to see what people think of my basic photos, and whether or not it would be worth taking things any further.

I'd be very grateful if you could have a look and tell me what you think! None of the photos were taken specifically to show off if you get what I mean, and almost all as you will see were with my own cheap cameras.

Here is my tumblr account...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kev11/

And here are a couple of my favourite photos. Please tell me what you think!!!

6103466565_a89d339fa4.jpg

Romance by 88Kev, on Flickr

6104016148_07b442a66f.jpg

Dramatic Sky over pier by 88Kev, on Flickr

6104039194_ca0cf205b9.jpg

Lightscript by 88Kev, on Flickr

6103486093_508fc61957.jpg

Sunflower by 88Kev, on Flickr

Fiesta ST-3
Hi mate you certainly do have an eye for a good shot. Which is a great start.

What camera do you role with atm? In regards to investing in new gear, only you can decided that but just because people say your crap shouldn't be a reason not to make photography a hobby!

Nice shots.

It doesn't matter who you are, your photography can always be improved.

Go into a shop and see whether you prefer Canon or Nikon. Ignore the rest.

It doesn't matter who you are, your photography can always be improved.

Go into a shop and see whether you prefer Canon or Nikon. Ignore the rest.

And yet my choice between Nikon D7000, Pentax K5 and Canon 7D is such an easy one ;)

Megane RS 275 Trophy
As Revels said go into the shop and feel the cameras in your hand, I initially went in for a Canon but also with the intentions of trying it against a Nikon, I knew I wanted the Canon and would always walk out of the door with out it (Always better deals on the net);). I pick up both models and instantly liked the feel of one above the other so I walked out of the shop straight home and bought a Nikon D40 and glad a did, just go and try before you buy, always the best policy.

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Just had a look at you Flickr account and I don't think you've showcased your best shots on here, you have some far better images on you account.

As for the DSLR, Go for it, your pockets will always feel a little lighter:quiet:

Clio 172
Thanks guys encouraging posts... I will certainly be going in to have a play around, I need a new one as I just drowned my current camera :dapprove: Looksa like back to the old Kodak Z1285 until payday comes around. Not a bad thing though, some of the best photos I've ever taken have come from that camera!

I have absolutely no idea how Flickr works, how do I showcase my favourite shots?!

Don't rule out other systems, it depends how you think you might like to shoot. I've just taken delivery of a new Panasonic body, its dinky compared with its big brother and will get much much smaller when my new 'pankcake' lens arrives, borrowing a kit lens at the minute.

For someone that's shot Manual for many many years its a little fiddly so far but it can fit in my pocket so I'll probably use it more! Also has some nice beginner settings built in.

IMG_1286-PSy.jpg

[Fanboy] canon pwnz etc etc...

Ph2 Flamer
Club laser lights and that one of the baby owl are wicked mate. I know the wings are a bit blurry but his facy is clear so it kinda adds to the sense of movement.

Clio 172
Don't rule out other systems, it depends how you think you might like to shoot. I've just taken delivery of a new Panasonic body, its dinky compared with its big brother and will get much much smaller when my new 'pankcake' lens arrives, borrowing a kit lens at the minute.

For someone that's shot Manual for many many years its a little fiddly so far but it can fit in my pocket so I'll probably use it more! Also has some nice beginner settings built in.

[Fanboy] canon pwnz etc etc...

Small and portable is good - I like to have my camera with me everywhere as its when you're least expecting it that the good shots are there! I love doing Macro, the camera I borrowed had a really easy macro function. Whats the best all-rounder would you say?

Club laser lights and that one of the baby owl are wicked mate. I know the wings are a bit blurry but his facy is clear so it kinda adds to the sense of movement.

Cheers for that, I love the laser light one as it was just a quick shot on my old phone! The owl was amazing, I love the girl in the background taking a pic too :)

Tough to find an all rounder, lots of options:

A 'bridge' camera like something from the Panasonic TZ range or something like a Canon G11 which offers DSLR controls in a small size, quality is pretty good.

Mirror less interchangeable cameras offer small size and great quality but come with compromise. Something like the GF2 + 14mm pancake are small with great quality and price but to keep that size you restrict yourself to one focal length that probably won't be great for close up worth either. You can add lenses but with this comes size and price.

DSLR has the most control with the best ergonomics and best lens/accessory choice but with this you won't find anything that fits in your pocket. Fantastic to use, especially in fast paced environments and tough conditions.

If your very serious about sport or macro, DSLR is the way. If you want high quality snaps with more control check out the Olympus Pen, Sony Nex and Panasonic GF ranges. If you want it all in your pocket the Canon S95 and G11 are great top end compacts.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Only you can decide whether spending the extra on decent kit will "worth the money" but that better kit will give you extra options and I think some of those pics are really nice and I think you would benefit.
Have a look around this site http://www.lightstalking.com/ it's focused towards the enthusiastic amateur, the guides are really easy to follow and not too photo geeky and the galleries they publish I find an inspiration.