ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Computer Help - Have I been shafted?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Hello,
I have just got a new computer from a friend of my Dad's who is supposed to be a "gadget" man etc etc.

He told my Dad that it has all of the best hardware, but today when I was talking to a guy from PC World he told me otherwise and that I had been fooled.

It's a custom built PC, it has 3.00GB of DDR2 memory, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT graphics card, Windows XP, 250GB HDD and we have agreed to pay £350.

I need the computer everyday for my Graphic work (graphic designer) so I need a good machine that is up to the job.

Can anyone help me please before I hand the money over?

Cheers
Liam

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Seems expensive.

The processor is quite old now, memory isn't much if your doing graphic work, HDD isnt too large, OS is old (but still a good OS, I'd have xp over vista or 7 any day).

What graphics card does it have? And does it include a nice display which is bumping the price up?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Seems expensive.

The processor is quite old now, memory isn't much if your doing graphic work, HDD isnt too large, OS is old (but still a good OS, I'd have xp over vista or 7 any day).

What graphics card does it have? And does it include a nice display which is bumping the price up?

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT graphics card dude, I'd rather spend a little more and get a much better one before we blow the money on some old piece of sh*t.

It's in a clear case with sh*tty LEDs which I bet he thinks is worth a lot.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Haha I know a student very well...myself ;)

I was thinking about getting one but I cba spending so much money on one!

I'd be looking to spend around £400 on a machine, if I could get a monitor for a little bit more I'd be made up!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The thing is, its inevitable that you will be using a Mac sooner rather than later when going into that industry. Its probably worth getting onboard now, and buying an iMac for £900. Rather than a desktop for say £400, OS for £70 and display for £200, your not that far off! And in 3 years time when the warrantys up it'll still be worth loads when a pc would be worthless.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As much as you sound like a preacher girlsname, I couldn't agree more.

If you're already in industry, surely you've seen that it's one filled with apple machines?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
The thing is, its inevitable that you will be using a Mac sooner rather than later when going into that industry. Its probably worth getting onboard now, and buying an iMac for £900. Rather than a desktop for say £400, OS for £70 and display for £200, your not that far off! And in 3 years time when the warrantys up it'll still be worth loads when a pc would be worthless.

I'd love to get one dude, but at the moment I've not got the money to spend on one :(
I could do with getting a good desktop machine, that I can keep in my house and I'll probably invest in an iMac when I go back to uni.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
iMac. Even a three year-old one will do.

If you're serious about your career, invest in decent equipment. Trust me.

Bus w**ker
Buy once. Buy properly. By fruit.

Bi fruit?
Bye fruit?

All so confusing.

But anyway, if you're a graphics designer I'm quite frankly stunned that you haven't immediately gone for a fruit based PC...I only do light post processing and video editing and detest using a Windows PC to do it.

Evo 8 MR
Definitely don't buy that system, your paying silly money for very old hardware.

Visit OverclockersUK, they have a "Build your own system" thing on their site which is a step by step way to customise the internals and buy it already built ready to go from them.

I've just had a little play and managed to get a decent spec system for £460, they go cheaper but the hardware isn't as good.

You'll only get best value for money if you build your own system though, which I recommend you do.

EUk31.png

job done - it's a list i was preparing for my girlfriend!

edit: just realised it's the very very old list i made and there's no gfx card, apologies - i'll see if i can find the updated list (her price limit was ~£450)