ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with choosing new motherboard!

172DD Cup
i have a dell e521 with a damn btx motherboard that is no more. i need to replace it with an atx or matx motherboard (and new case) but not sure what specs i should be concerned about. i want to use as much of my current set up as possible. i have:

amd 64 x2 dual core
4 dimms ddr2 think its 667 or 800mhz
sata hdd and optical drive
pci-e x16 video card
305w psu

i know i need an am2 socket, ddr2 ram slots, sata connectors for hdd and optical and pci-e x16 for my graphics card.

do i need to worry about chipsets?
is anything stopping me from using my existing psu, other than whether it has 20 or 24 pins?
i cant decide on atx or matx. my pc is in the lounge, but in a corner. a reasonably nice medium tower will be fine, and obviously most matx cases will look cool. also, i have 4 memory dimms of 1gb, 1gb, 512mb, 512mb, and with an matx i could only use the 2x 1gb dimms. system is not used for anything intensive, just surfing mainly, but its the main pc in the house.

help, opinions, and links to motherboards and cases greatly appreciated! oh and budget isnt bottomless! cheers

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I had the Asus M2N32-SLi motherboard for a good few years before I got my recent upgrade. Cracking motherboard - especially if you can pickup a couple of cheap nVidia cards to use in SLi. I had a single ATi 4890 in mine running a Phenom quad-core and it happily ran COD MW2, Mass Effect 2, etc.

They aren't a current product anymore but a bargain if you can pick one up cheap off eBay. :)

D.