ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Computer & USB

AK

M240i
When i plug anything USB into any of the USB slots on my sisters computer it restarts the computer, and keeps restarting the computer until i take the USB out. When it's out the computer runs fine etc.

Any ideas how to fix it?

1 Series Coupe
Possibly shorting out, and making the machine reboot..
Try to reinstall the drivers.

How old is the machine?

AK

M240i
It's quite old i think mate. It was one from work that they wiped.

Reinstall the drivers for what? It's just a USB memory stick im plugging in has no drivers for it.

The comps on XP if that helps??

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
It's quite old i think mate. It was one from work that they wiped.

Reinstall the drivers for what? It's just a USB memory stick im plugging in has no drivers for it.

The comps on XP if that helps??

If its not a hardware fault then it could be a segmentation fault with the kernel.

If you think its a software then then remove all your usb drivers from the computer and reboot, it will pick it up again and reisntall them for you.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sounds like its the BIOS trying to boot from a usb device and failing.

DCi
do you have USB slots on the front and back of the case?

What I am guessing at is if you try the opposite side, then if there is a short, perhaps the other circuit on the other side wont be damaged and won't short.

and what the people here mean by drivers is that windows will have a driver for the USB port (not the device you are trying to connect) If you can't work out how to delete it from the device manager I would probably suggest a windows reinstall

AK

M240i
do you have USB slots on the front and back of the case?

What I am guessing at is if you try the opposite side, then if there is a short, perhaps the other circuit on the other side wont be damaged and won't short.

and what the people here mean by drivers is that windows will have a driver for the USB port (not the device you are trying to connect) If you can't work out how to delete it from the device manager I would probably suggest a windows reinstall

It's doing it at all 4 usb ports, 2 at the front and 2 at the back. Where would i look to find the device manager?

I don't have the discs to do a windows reinstall :dapprove: could i DL it from anywhere?

Clio Dynamique
I had this problem at work with a room of PCs, USB devices including a USB mouse caused the reboots. You could try installing the motherboard chipset drivers then delete everything from within the Universal Serial Bus controllers section of device manager which will be a bunch of Standard Host Controllers and USB Root Hubs and then scan for new hardware, I tried that many things but never fully fixed it without a reinstall of XP.

The problem came back after we uploaded the image to WDS to install on all the other PCs, we just used Ghost in the end. I think it was an Intel chipset motherboard.

Clio Dynamique
It's doing it at all 4 usb ports, 2 at the front and 2 at the back. Where would i look to find the device manager?

I don't have the discs to do a windows reinstall :dapprove: could i DL it from anywhere?

If you right click My Computer and goto Manage you will find device manager. You should be able to borrow an XP disc from someone but you will need a licence which should be on a sticker attached to the PC.

AK

M240i
If you right click My Computer and goto Manage you will find device manager. You should be able to borrow an XP disc from someone but you will need a licence which should be on a sticker attached to the PC.

I've got a licence on a sticker on the pc. Plus its a works pc so they keep an inventory of all licence numbers etc so that shouldn't be a problem!

Shame they dont keep the windows discs.

Anywhere i can DL it from?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I've got a licence on a sticker on the pc. Plus its a works pc so they keep an inventory of all licence numbers etc so that shouldn't be a problem!

Shame they dont keep the windows discs.

Anywhere i can DL it from?

If its your works PC then get them to fix it lol !

Clio Dynamique
Just ask your work for a copy, they should have no problem as they sold you the PC and you have a licence sticker on the PC. Make sure you get home or pro version depending whats on the sticker.