ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Computers dying! #speedup

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Just randomly my computer's decided to run slow as hell. First noticed it when typing on here and some other places, letters taking a second or two to appear and scrolling rate has dropped completely... jerking all down pages with images etc.

Have tired both Chrome & Internet Explorer so it's not just down to one browser.

CPU usage: 24%
RAM usage: 56%

Specifications are... i5/4Gb RAM/128SSD (19.5Gb free) running Windows 8.1

Have looked up start up items and installed software in control panel; nothing suspect.

Have de-fragmented all partitions.

Nothing's been installed recently other than Remote Desktop on my girlfriends account (it's slow even when her account hasn't been logged into)

Am about to run a virus check, but any other ideas?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It's a Surface Pro. I think it's pretty much constant at the moment! Saying that, it does seem slightly better as I'm typing this, and also I've noticed the fans coming on slightly more often than they usually do...

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
RAM usage is fairly high, i would look to see what is using that if thats consitant and see what options you have for adding more. As a side note, you shouldn't defragment an SSD.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Is it only when web browsing? If you download a juicy pdf (car brochure or similar) or a complex word document with images in it and scroll around/add some text how does that perform?

Worth downloading and running malware bytes if you've not already.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It seems slightly better offline, speed here is 38Mb/s on fibre optic.

RAM usage has always kind of been that high though, I know Chrome is a resource hog. Why shouldn't you defrag it? On the program it said it hadn't been done for 33 days and needed it...

PH2 172
Just randomly my computer's decided to run slow as hell. First noticed it when typing on here and some other places, letters taking a second or two to appear and scrolling rate has dropped completely... jerking all down pages with images etc.

Have tired both Chrome & Internet Explorer so it's not just down to one browser.

CPU usage: 24%
RAM usage: 56%

Specifications are... i5/4Gb RAM/128SSD (19.5Gb free) running Windows 8.1

Have looked up start up items and installed software in control panel; nothing suspect.

Have de-fragmented all partitions.

Nothing's been installed recently other than Remote Desktop on my girlfriends account (it's slow even when her account hasn't been logged into)

Am about to run a virus check, but any other ideas?

Your girlfriends been looking at BBC p**n & caught a nasty virus?

Reactions: Gus

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
One thing I did forget is that since moving I was back on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and there's a known conflict with the chip in the Surface Pro. Just created a separate SSID for 5GHz (TalkTalk bulk them both into one annoyingly) and things seem a little better :smile: