ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Confused, hard/slight left turn front right knocking/thudders?

172 Clio sport
Hey guys, I'm not a mechanic but I know a little to get me by.

I have recently installed coilovers in my 172 and ever since then the front right keeps knocking/thudders when I turn left on sweeping bends or tight corners. It never did this when I had the stock suspension in.

I've pulled out the front right cv which the boot was all gone on it but It had plenty of grease on it still but I also did send it to a cv rapair place as I couldn't find any cheap replacements in my area. He apparently fixed it all up but it's still happening when I go around left corners.. Could it be something else?

02 Iceberg 172
Is the car now sitting much lower on the coilovers? Is it running more neg camber? If yes it could be that the driveshaft is now binding between the gearbox and hub if the car is running lower or has more neg camber. Loosen off the engine mounts, shift the engine over towards the passenger side and tighten the mounts up again. That should give the driveshaft more clearance.

172 Clio sport
Is the car now sitting much lower on the coilovers? Is it running more neg camber? If yes it could be that the driveshaft is now binding between the gearbox and hub if the car is running lower or has more neg camber. Loosen off the engine mounts, shift the engine over towards the passenger side and tighten the mounts up again. That should give the driveshaft more clearance.
Yeah it's running camber and it sits a lot lower than what it did stock.

What's the best way to shift the engine over?
Is this a common problem when people go lower and run meh camber? If so it's quite irritating ugh.

02 Iceberg 172
Yeah it's running camber and it sits a lot lower than what it did stock.

What's the best way to shift the engine over?
Is this a common problem when people go lower and run meh camber? If so it's quite irritating ugh.

Can be quite common on 172s when running lower/more neg camber than stock - doesn't seem to happen to 182s as their drivers side driveshaft is a bit shorter.

To shift engine over loosen off the upper engine and lower gearbox mounts, get a bit of bar etc and use it to lever the engine over by putting it between the engine and where the upper engine mount bolts to the chassis/strut tower. Tighten mounts up and test.

Doesn't take long to do and should solve it provided you aren't running extreme levels of lowz and neg camber.