ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Connecting to the Internet

RB 200 Cup!
Ive managed to connect to my GF;s wireless network at her house from my laptop but cant access the internet - im at a loss what to try.

ANyone?

RB 200 Cup!
im useless at all this - how will that work?

i notice the desktop pc and my laptop have different IP addresses - could that be the problem

RB 200 Cup!
Done that but still nothing - i would have thought this would have been simple

the wireless conenction is excellent - 54mbps but IE just does nothing :(

Megane 230 F1
im useless at all this - how will that work?

i notice the desktop pc and my laptop have different IP addresses - could that be the problem

The should have different ip addresses, but the subnet should be the same. Goto Start->Run and run "cmd". - From there run "ipconfig" - you should get something like:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\jaleach\Desktop>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter OnBoard WAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : cisco.com
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.253
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

See if you can ping the 'Default Gateway':

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\jaleach\Desktop>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

If you can ping your default gateway, then there's something wrong with your routers' config..

Scirocco GT 2.0
Done that but still nothing - i would have thought this would have been simple

the wireless conenction is excellent - 54mbps but IE just does nothing :(

Reet, I was hoping that might work because now it could get technical lol.

If your on Vista: Right-click on the connection icon on your taskbar near the clock > Diagnose and repair. If that doesn't flag anything up try:

Right-click on the icon again > Network and Sharing Center > Manage network connections on the left > Right-click on your wireless connection > Properties > Click on TCP/IPv4/v6 (or do the same to both) > Properties > and make sure it's set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically" and obtain DNS Automatically

Scirocco GT 2.0
im on windows xp?

Oh jesus I haven't used XP properly for ages.

My memory doesn't stretch that far, lol

I think you do a similar thing by right-clicking on the network icon the menus are just called slightly different things

1.8 Civic EX
you reset the router yet? I'm assuming you have also restarted the laptop since setting up the connection to the network?

just pull the mains lead out the back of the router, leave it for a minute and plug it back in, leave for another minute then try to get on the net...

Had to do it almost every time I set up another machine to connect to the net on my network at home. On the laptop it says it's connected to the network and all looks good but the internet just won't work.

Double check the wireless password is correct. If its wrong it will still connect to the box but nothing works.