ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering buying a Clio 197 and have a few questions

My first post here, so firstly - Hello! My names Mike, from South Manchester.

Now that i'm 23 I can get decent price insurance on a nice car, and I have money saved to get myself something nice.

I did really fancy a Focus ST but they're slightly out of my budget and less than 20mpg round town would be a kick in the balls too. So i've decided an ST can wait.

I'm looking at Clios now, either a 182 or a 197. Bit of a tough decision really. I can get a really nice example 182 for around £3500, with nice 197's coming in at around £1500 more at about £5000. To me the looks and interior changes to the 197 are worth a grand to me over a 182.

I've been to look at a few today and there is one local to me which I went to see. The car is actually advertised on here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...Leather-Interior-Climate-Control-%A35-695-ono

The only thing stopping me is the mileage compared to the cost of the car. 77k miles seems high to me but it is literally the only downside I can see to the car.

It is in seriously immaculate condition inside and out, service history was impressive and it had £600+ plus spent on its last service where it had all fluids changed, all belts done and new spark plugs. Its also had a full 4 wheel alignment check and adjustment done recently. The car drove flawlessly, smooth ride, free revving engine, no knocks or rattles at all, even took speed bumps really nicely for a sporty hatch - It felt like a new car.

What do people think of 77k miles? The car is an 09 plate, so its only 4 years old, so definitely above average for its age. But to me this confirms the owners story of the car being mainly used for long motorway journeys and big commutes, so hopefully this means things like the brakes/clutch/suspension hadn't been caned. I'm not planning on modding the car particularly, but I think the odd trackday will be on the cards - Will the mileage be a problem if the cars been well cared for? Are there any high miler 197's on the forum?

Would love to hear your opinions and hopefully ease my doubt about this car, because it was a really nice example to me.

Also I was wondering if anybody could confirm the following - 197's did have a bit of a weak gearbox, but apparently the later version like this 09 reg i'm looking at had a later, uprated gearbox fitted from the factory.

Thanks

Mike.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The revised gearbox ratio was on the 57 plate-

However the uprated gearbox ( 1 Peice Syncro IIRC) only came in last year- so it wont be on a 2009 197 as they only started getting fitted to the later 200's

its not a bad price for a 197, seeing as its a 2009....

not my cup of tea - but it looks ok.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I've had a 197 and currently own an mp260 focus st and theres no difference in MPG for me anyway.

172 Cup
My 197 was fairly poor on MPG compared to my current 172 cup, so if MPG is large factor in your decision I would probably recommend the latter and opt for a nice 182 with some change left over.

Wow really, thought they'd be a fair bit better than an ST on fuel. I joined an ST forum and found that generally people were getting 18mpg round town and 24-28mpg on a good run.

This this just the extra weight of a 197 that causes the increase in fuel consumption?

Audi A5
No it's the engine and gearing as well that plays a part of the mpg.

I don't find it as bad as everyone makes out, I've had two 182's, an R26 and this 197, and they all seem to give about 100 miles to £20.

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
Wow really, thought they'd be a fair bit better than an ST on fuel. I joined an ST forum and found that generally people were getting 18mpg round town and 24-28mpg on a good run.

This this just the extra weight of a 197 that causes the increase in fuel consumption?

I'm getting 27mpg from my ST and that's without motorway driving. I did love my 197 though.

For what it's worth under normal driving my 182 is reporting around 36mpg by the time the tank empties. 40+ on motorways but then I keep it around 70 as it just plummets after that.
My mate and I went out around the Beacons the other day though and that ate a brimmed tank (I love the Beacons!) so make of that what you will.
You don't really buy a hot hatch for mpg, though I've read a 197 isn't as polar bear friendly as a 182.

Last edited:
  L-Y Clio 197 F1
after owning a 197 f1 for a while and now moved on, I'd have to say the mpg of the 197 is appalling for what it is. fun little cars but driving them at high revs to really enjoy the car will also make your wallet very sad indeed. And yes, the gearbox is sh*t. Decent cars bang for buck and should put a smile on your face if you've never driven any bigger power cars.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Mileage means nothing on Clio's mate. I had a 182 on 45k which was terrible, needed so much spent on it in just 9 months. Years later bought one on 109k and it's been utterly superb, honestly the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No it's the engine and gearing as well that plays a part of the mpg.

I don't find it as bad as everyone makes out, I've had two 182's, an R26 and this 197, and they all seem to give about 100 miles to £20.

I its a CS thing. I average a good 29 - 30 mpg and it gets driven. Thats on the both ive owned. Good wee motor for what they are imo.

I've had a 182 and now have a 197 cup. As long as the belts have been done and the service history is all there I wouldn't worry about mileage too much..

MPG wise - I average 27-28 - isn't amazing - but meh.

one in the advert looks good for the money in my eyes