ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Conversion Help

Clio RSI
Hello guys i currently have a 1.2 8v and im looking to upgrade to a 1.6 8v or 16v but need a few questions answered

8v or 16v engine easier to fit ?
Do they use same mounts as 1.2 8v ?
Can i run my 1.2 8v gearbox with the 1.6 ?
Will the wiring be plug and play or need splicing ?

You will probably say why don't you fit the 172 or 182 engine, reasoning is insurance will not go up as much and also the 1.6 engines are available at a lot lower cost

Thanks in advance

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Honestly, just buy a 1.6 as its genuinely not worth converting the 1.2 and your insurance will still go up.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A 1.6 clio can be bought for a grand. It's not worth f**king around with.

Clio RSI
Situation is my car owes me nothing so i would have to pull a grand out, where as i can pick engine up for around £150 and maybe extra £150 on ecu, loom etc. I can buy these in stages which makes it easier and cheaper for me, anything is worth doing over a 1.2 8v

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Situation is my car owes me nothing so i would have to pull a grand out, where as i can pick engine up for around £150 and maybe extra £150 on ecu, loom etc. I can buy these in stages which makes it easier and cheaper for me, anything is worth doing over a 1.2 8v

But that will take a long time. Plus you'll want to change the clutch and Cambelt/water pump on the new engine before you fit it, which is more expense.

Sell your car for £1000, 1.2 clios are a piece of piss to sell, then go and buy a 1.4/1.6 or whatever it is you want for the same money. The 1.6's are cheaper because the insurance is dearer and first time drivers can't insure them.

Whatever way you try and justify it, you'll encounter more expense and more of your own time. I know this because I've done it twice in my life time and both times once finished, I sat back and thought "what a prick. Should have just bought one instead"

172 cup, Impreza P1
But that will take a long time. Plus you'll want to change the clutch and Cambelt/water pump on the new engine before you fit it, which is more expense.

Sell your car for £1000, 1.2 clios are a piece of piss to sell, then go and buy a 1.4/1.6 or whatever it is you want for the same money. The 1.6's are cheaper because the insurance is dearer and first time drivers can't insure them.

Whatever way you try and justify it, you'll encounter more expense and more of your own time. I know this because I've done it twice in my life time and both times once finished, I sat back and thought "what a prick. Should have just bought one instead"

Wise words and spot on.

Conversions are only worth it if the manufacturer didn't make them in the first place and even then it's not worth it.

Clio RSI
I will be doing the conversion, i just need to know if the 1.6 8v or 16v will be a straight swap (mounts etc) ?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If you are absolutely dead set on it then buy a donor car. Because no, it won't be a straight swap. Same as you'll need new shafts etc etc

Clio RSI
So you cant use the 1.2 8v gearbox with the 1.6 then no ? making a start here. I have done many engine conversions just need to know what i will need so i can make it a straight swap

Renault Clio MK3
So you cant use the 1.2 8v gearbox with the 1.6 then no ? making a start here. I have done many engine conversions just need to know what i will need so i can make it a straight swap

Ok mate, sure you have. You sound like you've done loads before.

Clio RSI
Ok mate, sure you have. You sound like you've done loads before.

Explain why I would go out and buy a gearbox etc to then realise later on I could use the one I already have ... makes sence to me that I know what I can and cant use to make it straight forward, you may be clued up on French cars but im not hence the questions !!!

Megane dci 130
Use your gearbox and shafts, 1.6 16v drivers engine mount. Obviously 1.6 ancillaries, exhaust manifold etc.

Might be able to use the 1.2 coolant pipes.

Use 1.6 engine loom and ecu. get the immobiliser removed off the ecu. Engine to body wiring will be similar but there may be differences in the connections.

Unsure without checking.

But in my opinion, a worthless conversion. Buy a 1.6

Clio RSI
Use your gearbox and shafts, 1.6 16v drivers engine mount. Obviously 1.6 ancillaries, exhaust manifold etc.

Might be able to use the 1.2 coolant pipes.

Use 1.6 engine loom and ecu. get the immobiliser removed off the ecu. Engine to body wiring will be similar but there may be differences in the connections.

Unsure without checking.

But in my opinion, a worthless conversion. Buy a 1.6

Thank you mate I can see why some people see it as worthless, but 1.6 16v is always going to be way better than a 1.2 8v, I just wont be able to afford to buy a 172/182 lump plus other parts for it, plus I wish to keep my current car as the shell is perfect etc very very good condition

Thanks for your input mate

clio dci , ren8
For a start the 1.6 has the starter to the rear of the engine & the 1.2 is to the front so 1.2 box wont fit a 1.6 hoses are all different as is the rest of the running gear .

Easiest way is to just go out and trade yours in for a 1.6, if not go out and buy a rear ended 1.6 complete (or complete front end at least) you can almost guarantee you will collect all the bits you "need" to later find they don't fit or you have parts that can't be swapped over due to different plugs etc.

Clio RSI
Will the engine, gearbox, shafts etc fit from a megane mk1 as I can buy a full car for £350 spares or repairs from a mate ? I believe these 1.6 16v engines are K4M yes ?

Clio RSI
Well I have bought the donor car now, would I NEED to swap the steering rack over aswell or can I keep my non power steering one on there and just blank the unit or remove it ? also wiring side of things is it just plug and play or will I need to do some splicing ?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm convinced they'll be the same Djw John

infact im im convinced the entire front end is swappable with a Clio.

as for the OP your going to need to splice looms and either swap the steering racks or get a bracket and pulley made to replace the pump, or find a new route for the belt

Clio RSI
I'm convinced they'll be the same @Djw John

infact im im convinced the entire front end is swappable with a Clio.

as for the OP your going to need to splice looms and either swap the steering racks or get a bracket and pulley made to replace the pump, or find a new route for the belt

Fingers crossed they will fit, otherwise ill have to get 172/182 shafts am I correct ? will my alternator and bracket fit from the 1.2 8v engine or maybe I could get a belt made up ?