ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Conversion

Who's the best people to talk to about a 172 conversion?

Anyone done this conversion themselves?

Spoke to k-tec and that want £2k for labour.

What difficulties are involved, i've heard the wiring can be awkward, something to do with the immobiliser.

Yeah i know mate.

Just making some enquires on this engine conversion, some garage in Pemberton says he can do it for £350 labour, but it seems a bit cheap to me.

Looking for a ph-quick...
if it has the same engine as the 1.6 16v, the mounting points should'nt be too diferent. You will need a 172; ECU, wiring loom, probably fuel pump, Rad?? Im not fully educated on 172 wiring loom but you should be able to just swap them over. Make sure get the whole lot tho.
Hope that helps you out

172 cup'd extreme
what year megane is it?
the engine will physically fit but the electronics are different, the 172 loom can be used and the ease of this depends on the year of car

Last edited:
  172 cup'd extreme
what dont you understand about the loom?
and does your megane have a UCH or a load of relays as part of the internal wiring loom?

172 cup'd extreme
the uch replaces relays etc that work all the interior components such as heating and wipers.
the internal loom is different i would retro the old loom to the 172 and the 172's ecu. which 172 is the donor parts from and does your car have a cable throttle or electronic? also which megane is it you own?

Not sure which 172 the bits will be from, that will be decided when i get the parts (whole kits can be picked up easy enough), are they different?

Its cable throttle.

Its a Megane Coupe (Phase 2)

This one:

S3400083.jpg

S3400072.jpg

172 cup'd extreme
keep the cable throttle body go for a 172 phase1 engine and loom , it will be easy enough to integrate with the meganes dash and Abs/ airbag systems.
The imobiliser situation will be harder, you will need the decoder ring, key and Ecu from the phase one 172 to get it started. the Fuel pump will be ok

Thanks for the info. mate, really helpful.

Does someone on this site sell the complete conversion packages? The guy with that rapid black clio?

Does he do the conversions?

Tempted to have a go myself but it would take me weeks doing it inbetween work and i don't like my car being off the road that long.

172 cup'd extreme
they dont do conversions im afraid. get some holidays off then stick it in. you need to plan it all first then do it.

Done a bit of planning this morning, had a look through Megane Haynes manual and the Clio Haynes manual at the wiring diagrams.

Looks good, well buzzin now and up for it.

80MPG BEEZA
accrington and scotland are pretty far apart arent they to do the conversion? i had to send my car down from newcastle to accrington which cost me 200 to get it transprted there never mind taking ur car from accrington to scotland! find somewere localish

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
you'll need to look at the speedo drive too, shouldn't be too much of a problem if your swapping the whole loom.. if not beware the cups gearboxes have mechanical drive and the non cups are magnetic pulses i think...

Andy_J said:
you'll need to look at the speedo drive too, shouldn't be too much of a problem if your swapping the whole loom.. if not beware the cups gearboxes have mechanical drive and the non cups are magnetic pulses i think...
The Cup use a mechanica speedo from the gearbox just like upto the 2001 July spec (I think thats the date) 172 use. The later 172 and 182 use the ABS system to get there speedo readings from.