ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cool Air Intake

Mk4 .:R32
Hey,

I bought a BMC CDA a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't fit with standard inlet. Received the hillpower inlet today though, so need to cut that down to size and all should be good. I'm just wondering where to get a cool air pipe to attach to the open end of the CDA? and where to locate. I don't really want to take out the fog light. So could anyone tell me where to get the piping and where to route it under the bonnet! I'm a newbie here so forgive my lack of technical knowledge!!

Ph1 172
Think you best bet would be your local ripspeed halfrauds or ebay for sure. Without removing a foglight you can try and get it down to the bottom grill next to no room at all tho!

Mk4 .:R32
cheers bud. I will try halfrauds! haha! How do you keep the pipe in place down by the grill, or does it stay in position on it's own as it's a tight squeeze?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
andy905 on here sells cold air feed. He has a thread in the parts for sale section at the mo'.

VRS
motorworld do a black or silver alloy pipe, its around 15quid for a metre and a bit and it flexible as well as very strong

its really good stuff and very strong so it wont crumple like some of the cheaper pipes u can get

R

rich[182]

I got my pipe from Homebase. Loads of sizes to choose from and miles cheaper than getting it from a car joint

I've heard of a few owners that have used such stuff and it's disintegrated over time, The stuff I recommended is very robust but also flexible

182 Trophy
I'm in the same position as you...wanting to get a better cold air feed than from behind the headlamp, but don't want to take the fog light out. I've inspected the situation and not only does it look a tight fit but it also seems theres plastic panels in the way of getting the pipe to the lower front grill...Are you meant to just hack a hole in these panels and poke the CAF pipe through?

R

rich[182]

I'm in the same position as you...wanting to get a better cold air feed than from behind the headlamp, but don't want to take the fog light out. I've inspected the situation and not only does it look a tight fit but it also seems theres plastic panels in the way of getting the pipe to the lower front grill...Are you meant to just hack a hole in these panels and poke the CAF pipe through?

The standard airbox has 2 feeds, the rear feed picks up cold air from the small aperture to the left of the passenger side headlight, just inside the engine bay you'll see the opening to the air feed, it's about 50mm diameter

I'm assuming your on about the feed at the right hand side of the airbox that normally goes to the acoustic valve ?

Without removing the acoustic valve the only way you'll get a feed down to the area behind the foglight to remove the standard pipe that goes between the airbox and acoustic valve, seperate the pipe from the plastic part that goes into the airbox and then get a new 50mm pipe to go from this plastic bit to the area down near the foglight bypassing the acoustic valve it will still be a very tight fit to get 50mm down there though

Heres a pic of the seperated bits

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2477080&postcount=10

182 Trophy
Yeah I was refering to the pipe which runs to the acoustic valve. I've taken the valve out, which has resulted in better engine response when teamed up with an ITG filter.

Your photo shows you have just replaced the stock intake pipe with an after market one which still gets air from a similar place (behind the headlamp). What advantages are there to doing this? What diameter is this pipe?

182_newcaf.gif

R

rich[182]

Hi this is my first attempt

I decided I couldn't be bothered disturbing the inner wheel arch liner to remove the acoustic valve so have left the valve in place

This is a 76mm pipe which ends directly above the opening to the valve and still picks up cold air imo, advantages for me are that you get good induction noise, gets rid of the crap standard pipe, bypasses the valve and more importantly can put it all back to 100% standard in 2 mins

I think (cant remember) that a 50mm pipe would sit better on the plastic bit that goes into the airbox though

I'm also running some of the remaining 76mm pipe from the pickup point below the valve to a small aperture against the side of the engine bay behind the headlight just to get as much cold air as possible into that area

Also looking at fabricating a deflector for the cold air that goes into the other cold feed

Will try and take some more pics at the weekend if I have time

182 Trophy
Good reasoning there Rich, especially like the idea that you can put it back to standard really easily. Would be interested to see more pics...especially of the extra piping you used to get air from benneath the valve to behind headlamp area.

Although you say a 50mm feed pipe may fit better, you won't get as much air as you would with the larger 76mm...so I'm inclined to go with the same as that.

BTW, very easy to take the inner wheel arch liner off and gives you good access to that area...about 3 torque screws and two large clips which you just pull off.