ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Leak

Clio 2.0 172
Seem to have developed a coolant leak on my 172. Not all the time but quite steady when it is leaking. Seems to be coming from about the centre of the car,just in from the front of the sideskirt. Are they common for this? And is it advised to get it seen to as soon as or is it just a case of watch my coolant levels and get it done at some point more suited to the bank balance? lol

Cheers for any advice

Storm Grey 200
Personally, i just keep the level topped up. Have a good rummage around, or get someone to look at it when your wallets healthy. Unless it gets really bad in which case obv get it fixed.

A little tip, if you have a AA/RAC cover then just get them to come have a look, your paying them for a reason. Also they can check your fault lights, far better than paying others to do it.

Clio 2.0 172
Cheers mate :) Oh and good shout on the AA cover,I am in fact a member,got a card for each member of the family so might give them a phone n just say I went out to my car,started it up and it has developed a leak :D

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've got an annoying leak too. seems be from the bottom of the radiator and i lose the hole bottles worth in a few weeks. I cant see the pipes without taking bumper off. Might lob some rad weld in.

Clio 2.0 172
Mine's not that far forward. Mine is almost around the area of where the centre section starts

Lots of Alfas
If its not the radiator, they tend to leak where the bottom pipe connects to the radiator. A extra clip/jubilee clip normally sorts it. The connector on the radiators isnt a very good design.

Mine's not that far forward. Mine is almost around the area of where the centre section starts

It cant be coolant if its that far back, unless something in the heater matrix is leaking (as coolant passes through it) and then dripping down the back somewhere. Also the air con vents water down around that area from condensation.

Clio 2.0 172
I'm not too sure where the actual leak itself is comin from,but thats definately where it's dripping from so it may well be the condensation from the air-con. I didn't know about that. I tried tasting a drip from off my finger and it didn't have any taste so it's not petrol or oil, I thought it was just water myself but my mate tonight said it's coolant

Focus RS mk1
I've got an annoying leak too. seems be from the bottom of the radiator and i lose the hole bottles worth in a few weeks. I cant see the pipes without taking bumper off. Might lob some rad weld in.

you may find your leak could be caused by the fan shroud rubbing against the rad, i had this problem. the shroud warps with the heat causing it to touch the rad over time it rubs through, just get a torch and look see if the shroud is rubbing against it.

ITB'd MK1
I'm not too sure where the actual leak itself is comin from,but thats definately where it's dripping from so it may well be the condensation from the air-con. I didn't know about that. I tried tasting a drip from off my finger and it didn't have any taste so it's not petrol or oil, I thought it was just water myself but my mate tonight said it's coolant

very likely condensation from the AC in that case, just watch all your levels until you're happy nothing's unusual