ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Temperature

E46 320CD
Right over the past week or so my tempertaure gauge has been playing up, it never goes just above half way but would drop quite abit (about 3 notches).

Anyway Fred got me a coolant temp new sensor which i replaced, and the problem is still there. I've noticed if i go and give the car a bit of stick then the car sits at the correct temperature but the minute i start slowing it starts to drop.

I checked the hose coming of the thermostat today and it was warm but not boiling so to speak, this was after a 40 minute drive.

Also my mpg is also shocking at the minute, at 70mph i can just break 34mpg if i try, if not it's around 28.

Anybody got any ideas what the problem is please before i have to get it into Fred again, i'd like to try and solve it myself for a change lol.

Cheers.

PH1 172 Sport
I would try a new thermostat next.

Also check that the radiator fan is not constantly on.

Clio 182, CBR600RR
I would try a new thermostat next.

Also check that the radiator fan is not constantly on.
Ive had the exact same problem! Sorted with a new thermostat, £15 Plus vat an it comes with a new seal if u buy from renault but also check fan!

ValverInBits
It's defo the thermostat. Really really common problem on a lot of cars. Your car is giving you poor economy because the cylinder thermal efficiency is down due to the engine being cold and also the ECU will be richening up the mixture.

E46 320CD
Thanks for the replies, i'll go and get a stat and some fresh coolant today and have a go the weekend - hopefully cures the problem.

Cheers.

E46 320CD
Could this be my problem ? my temp gauge sits about 2.5 notches underneath halfway.

Start your own thread lol.

I'm guessing so mate, i've replaced by CTS and still getting the same readings so from what i've been reading the last cause is the stat.

Once it's done i'll let you know the outcome, hopefully it sorts it.

Whats you mpg like?

Titanium 182
Sorry lol :eek:

since I got the car its slowly started not getting to halfway on the temp gauge, get about 29/30mpg driving into town centre every day in traffic.

E46 320CD

since I got the car its slowly started not getting to halfway on the temp gauge, get about 29/30mpg driving into town centre every day in traffic.

Your doing better than me.

i'd replace your temp sensor first - i've got my old one which i'll happily send you to try, i presume it works fine as it's giving exactly the same reading as the new one.

Replacing the sensor is easy, if your quick you wont loose much coolant either.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Right over the past week or so my tempertaure gauge has been playing up, it never goes just above half way but would drop quite abit (about 3 notches).

Anyway Fred got me a coolant temp new sensor which i replaced, and the problem is still there. I've noticed if i go and give the car a bit of stick then the car sits at the correct temperature but the minute i start slowing it starts to drop.

I checked the hose coming of the thermostat today and it was warm but not boiling so to speak, this was after a 40 minute drive.

Also my mpg is also shocking at the minute, at 70mph i can just break 34mpg if i try, if not it's around 28.

Anybody got any ideas what the problem is please before i have to get it into Fred again, i'd like to try and solve it myself for a change lol.

Cheers.

Mine doing this too exactly as you describe . Let us know if your stat sorts it mate ;)

PH1 172

Mine has always sat at the 1/4 mark since I have owned the car (3years) and only rises when I am in traffic to about 1/2 way and then when I am on the move it drops back down to 1/4 mark again. I get a good MPG of about 30+mpg on normal roads and motorway driving I get 34+mpg so I wouldn't worry too much if you are getting at least 30mpg in town traffic :)

E46 320CD
Just a little update, Fred fitted a new stat for me today and it's sorted the problem.

Also noticed a BIG difference in mpg - normaly getting 28ish mpg, doing the same journey home and i got 40.9!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Just a little update, Fred fitted a new stat for me today and it's sorted the problem.

Also noticed a BIG difference in mpg - normaly getting 28ish mpg, doing the same journey home and i got 40.9!

cheers mate new stat time it is then :D