ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cornering too hard? Tyre wall flex?

Clio 182
I've got T1-R's up front, 205/45/16 on regular 182 wheels, I've noticed a lot of wear on the outer edge of both sides, probably due to me taking corners fairly quickly, testing the cars capabilities. Is this due to too much flex in the tyre wall, or some other reason? Car had it's tracking done just after I bought it, drives straight and true.

Also, any recommendations for some tyres? Don't want to spend ridiculous money on a daily car, something that's good in the dry preferably as I don't drive hard in the wet, although some rainsports might do, especially in the winter.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yer Toyos have a very soft wall, I stripped half the writing off my front ones over the course of day of driving like a proper idiot.

Clio 182
Yer Toyos have a very soft wall, I stripped half the writing off my front ones over the course of day of driving like a proper idiot.

Haha! Brilliant! Ok, that settles it. Know of anything with a harder side wall? and what's the advantage, less roll?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Haha! Brilliant! Ok, that settles it. Know of anything with a harder side wall? and what's the advantage, less roll?

Most others tyres are harder than T1R's ha! But the price will go up. Most common on here seem to be Michelin PS3's but they are not cheap.

A lot of people rave about Hankook V12s but I don't think these are any harder than the T1R's to be honest.

I run Pirelli P zero Nero and find them excellent in wet and dry and they have quite a stiff sidewall. Not too expensive either, around £77 a tyre.

Have a search, plenty of reviews on here about what certain tyres are like on the Clios.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Easily sorted with some alignment tweaks. Perfect excuse for a bit more camber, and check your toe. Tyre pressures also may need tweaking to suit different tyres

Clio 182
Hmm! Just got the cambelt done a month ago, so I have no more fixes for the clio now. I was going to start a few modifications anyway, may be a good excuse to get some decent tyres and suspension set-up ;)

Listerine & Poledo
testing the cars capabilities.

Don't want to spend ridiculous money on a daily car.

Spend your money on your tyres.

Spend more money on tyres than anything else for your car (aside form servicing, of course)

Or don't, whack some JK's on there and test the capabilities of going nose-first into a wall at the first corner you find.

ContiSports. That's all I ever had on the 172, perfect tyre for them

Clio 182 Sport Cup
One of the reviews of the 182 (may have been top gear or Evo) said that Michelin tyres that came on the car (think that's the PE2) were developed between Renault and Michelin for this car and specifically to have a harder side wall. Not sure how true that is.

AW139
I have always found Toyo's sidewall to be fine! Its all about getting your suspension setup so that your not wearing the sides of the tyres out!

Flame 172 (Ph2)
I used Kumho Ecsta KU31's on my S2000 and my BM' 325i M Sport and they were great, dead grippy in the dry, not bad in the wet and have a stiff tyre wall. A few others who used them on track rated them too.

When you factor in that they're circa £50 a corner they're bloody great (thats a fitted quote at my Kumho agent for 195/45/16).

Anyone used Kumho Ecsta KU31's on their Clio's?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I have always found Toyo's sidewall to be fine! Its all about getting your suspension setup so that your not wearing the sides of the tyres out!

+1

Taken mine on track a few times with Toyo's on and had no problems with the sidewall.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Try harder.

1+.

Michelin pe2's are a great tyre. Side wall is hard unless your moving quick when it does become a lil more sloppy. Wet grip is fine, build heat and you would barely know the roads wet. Drive like this often,and they wont last long.

172cup
used to track my 182 with Toyos + -2,5 camber and very slight sidewall wear
I think they re excellent tyres for the money

Clio 182, Astra Sri
really tempted to try these kumhos, the new tyre grading system is geving them an 'A' grip rating which is on par with michelins ps3's. gotta be worth a try at £50 a piece

Ph2 172 Track Toy
We have Khumos on our Octavia. Horrid, you get wheel spin in 2nd in the dry and 4th in the wet.

PE 2s are soft. You could not read the make on my trophy after a trackday.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Defo check your pressures, then get the geo checked by somewhere reputable !

V12s are well worth a shot. I love them .. had them in 16" on a Clio and 17" on the Scoob and think they are farrrrr better than T1-Rs. V12s in 15" are often suggested to have soft sidewalls.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When the car leans over it leans the tyres over as well, because your suspension doesnt have a lot of roll resistance it means that your car is leaning a lot when you corner hard, and consequently the outside wheel where all the weight is transferred to is leaning too much, if you had more static negative camber you can help to prevent this being a problem as if the tyre is leaning in more to begin with then when the shell leans over the outer wheel wont go past vertical like it is no doubt doing currently.
More caster would help too, as it introducs more camber on the outside wheel when you turn in.

Would be even worse if you had grippier tyres, as it would lean even more then.

Last edited:
  phase 1 flamer 172
excessive lowering dosnt help either, once the tca goes past parallel to the ground it will add positive camber.

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
ive noticed this with my PS 3's so i have some camber bolts in the post, should sort it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The downside to relying entirely on static camber changes is that it means you will wear out the inner edge will driving on straight roads, this is why I always initially look to increase caster first, so if you have non cup wishbones they should be your first modification really.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I had T1Rs on before I went for Khumo KU31

Got them cheaper than the Toyos, longer lasting and more grip, I don't even drive hard to notice all the differences lol