ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cost to fit a set of front brakes?

Titanium 182
Just had my car MOT'd, failed on the front brakes as apparently the backs of them have rusted - although they're not worn down much! Garage quoted me £80 for the labour and about £80/90 for the brake pads on top.

Firstly this is a job I can do myself, and I think paying £80 for it seems a bit steep? Secondly I don't want to pay £90 for some brakes which will more than likely warp in a few months - anywhere that I can get some decent ones fairly quickly? Had a look at nextdaybrakes.com but it looks like they're currently sold out!

Any help would be appreciated!

G172 in the trader section is your man for disks, think he can also supply brembo pads as well Mark (OEM spec I think, but don't quote me on that) :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I bought a those brembo pads for my car, seam good enough to me, no idea what they'd be like on a track though.

also fitted them along with brembo discs from him to a friends 182.

Mk5 golf gti
no offence but id be cautious about you doing the job if you dont know what you are doing

doing the brakes is not a job you want to make a mistake one

Titanium 182
no offence but id be cautious about you doing the job if you dont know what you are doing

doing the brakes is not a job you want to make a mistake one

No offence taken pal, I'm fully capable of changing the brakes on a car though - I did my own engine swap in my first car when I was 17 after the bottom end went. I'm no mechanic, but I've learnt a fair bit from working on my own cars!

Anyway, ordered through George and they're getting sent directly to the garage for them to fit - lazy I know but since the car's out of MOT it's not worth the hassle of driving it back on to my drive, I'll just cough up the price! CV boot gaitors popped off so they can replace that whilst it's on the ramp too!

Trophy Turbo :)
im sure they cant fail the breaks on rustyness or pitting any more?? only cracking ?? as crazy as it may state.

If your disks are rusty on one side i dont think the calipers or sliders are working correctly

Andy

Trophy Turbo :)
im sure they cant fail the breaks on rustyness or pitting any more?? only cracking ?? as crazy as it may state.

If your disks are rusty on one side i dont think the calipers or sliders are working correctly

Andy

Titanium 182
I'm going to have to inquire to the damage they failed it on, all I heard him say was 'rusty on the insides of the discs' - perhaps he meant the venting? I hope I haven't just forked out for something which wasn't needed, that will infuriate me!